• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sioux Narrows area discussion

Well, this will be my 15th year up on Lake of the Woods(im 25). We've fished out of White Birch that whole time. I wanted to bring up some discussion on what people think the season will be like this year and if interested exchange some spots. I have found a few dandies over the years, but am always interested in finding more.

First off, this year we are going during June 25th-30th instead of our usual fathers day weekend. Looking at our spring here in Minnesota, I think time wise, the fish might be in the exact same position they were when we usually came 2 weeks earlier due to the weather. I am thinking they will still be in 15-20ft of water. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

I just got back from Northwestern Ontario last week,just a few hours north.

The Walleye were in about 12ft of water, the Smallmouth in 5-15ft, and the Northern pike were very shallow in 5ft to 10ft in any bay or near flowage.

It was fantastic fishing, but extremely cold at times.

Cinder:

You'll need a Navionics chip if you're running on the Canadian side of LOTW since it's the only chip currently on the market that has the entire lake mapped. It won't have high-def 1 foot contours like Lakemaster does for the southern end, but it will provide you with navigation data and general information regarding structure. If you're fishing the U.S. side and/or the southern portion of the Canadian side, then you'll want to go with Lakemaster. In either case, I would definitely recommend getting yourself a paper map as well. The Canadian side of LOTW is beautiful and picturesque, but also very treacherous. You really need to be on your guard at all times or you'll find yourself in trouble in a hurry. Having a paper map for reference and route planning is critical in my opinion.

Redline:

I'll be heading up to the Narrows this weekend and will post results when I get back. We went the first weekend of June last year and they were still in the rivers and in transition. Judging by the reports Hemlock is getting, they're probably making their way out of the rivers now and may even be staging up on the reefs. Although I would tend to agree with him that it seems a little early for the reefs given that things are behind. Who knows though, we've found them in the oddest places at the strangest times. When they should have been shallow, we found them in 55' of water. When they should have been schooled up on the reefs, we found them stacked on the shoreline in 5'. Go figure.

Hemlock:

Thanks as always for providing us with inside information. It’s nice to have a local perspective on how things are going up there. You never really know what to expect when you go, but it’s extremely helpful to have a general idea of where to focus your efforts when you get there. Much appreciated.

Computerboy,

Thanks for your kind words....I just wish my reports were first hand, but since I've started in the bait business I've figured out who to listen to, and those who just like to "talk"....so I only post general reports, but try and keep them accurate. I'll be out in the next few days. Deadbroke, Cliff, Rope, and north to Kenora. Might get down to the Tug if time permits.

I will be headed out to Totem Lodges Wiley Point Lodge between the 20th and 27th. I as well would like to know what the fish are doing. Thanks for the updates keep em coming! We will be fishing mostly musky but also walleye for an hour per day or so to get our lunch.

Later,

Ryan

I just returned from from a week of fishing in the sioux narrows area. We fished the sunset channel area and long bay most of the time. The walleyes were everywhere. We caught eyes from 2-40 fow. Most of the big fish were caught under 10 fow. Mayflies were hatching everywhere, and they were the key to finding the bigger fish in the shallows. The weather was cool, wet, and windy, and the water temps were 52-58 in most places. we also caught many smallmouth, pike,and a few perch.

I was checking the weather up their this past week and I was actually glad we pushed back our trip 2 weeks this year. Looked cold and rainy like you mentioned.

Hemlock,

Let me know how Deadbroke and Cliff go for ya!

Well, I went down the lake, but never wet a line. I had my two little guys with me and just didn't get a chance to fish.

So, no report here. Sorry 'bout that.

Still getting guys in for bait stating that there's no rhyme or reason the the fish right now. Some deep, some shallow, some humps, but not all.... Winona Ice has a typical report though.

Just got back from 3 days of fishing out of the Narrows. The reports you are hearing are pretty accurate Hemlock. We hammered em on some reefs while others, in the same general area with similar composition and depth, were almost completely devoid of fish. Some of our favorite points and holes held active fish while others, which are usually part of the same pattern, held nothing. The only thing that was consistent was the 20+" fish were in shallow. Water temps ranged from 55-60 degrees.

One other thing to mention, the further West we traveled the more we noticed fish belching up mayfly larvae. Many of the fish we cut open for shore lunch had bellies chock full of them. Fortunately for us, it didn't seem to slow the action down too much. Fishing was good overall.

Finally, keep your eyes peeled for deadheads if you go...especially in the channels. On a normal trip we would see one or two. This time we saw dozens, of all shapes and sizes.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reports. How did you work the bigger fish out of the shallows? were they in the weeds? I am headed up tomorrow at 2PM so I need some last minute advice. Also this is probably a stupid question but whats a deadhead?

Thanks for the report again!

Ryan

Deadheads are large logs, tree trunks, boards, etc that are only partially floating.. much of the log is waterlogged and below the surface... some are big enough to rip a boat open, others just big enough to take out a lower unit..

the near flood stage water level right now -is rising deadheads and driftwood on shore and winds blow them out into the boating lanes...

fyi

The areas we fish are almost entirely devoid of weeds, so the action we saw with the big fish took place over shallow rocks. Best luck was with a jig and minnow, but you may have luck with other baits as the water temps have probably warmed up to and past 60 degrees. But the old saying "here today gone tomorrow" is definitely something you should be prepared for. You might kill em one day, and then not catch a thing on the exact same spot the very next day. I think they are still moving around quite a bit, so you will probably need to be versatile.

As Wild mentioned, a deadhead is basically floating debris (usually logs). Just be very careful as you travel, especially through channels and areas with current. One day we ran the Sunset Channel and it was like an obstacle course with all the deadheads, boats, and nav hazards we had to avoid.

Good luck and let us know how you did when you get back.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Sounds like it has just become more dangerous than it already is now adding wood to the mix with the rocks!

We will look around a lot and we have a guide on Sunday to help us locate a few fish.

Thanks again

Ryan

I'll be heading up Tuesday. Going to fish for Lackers Wed. afternoon, and the 'eyes on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'll make sure to post up my results. Thanks guys!

Redline,

There is a very good chance I'll be heading back up to White Birch Lodge on the same days you'll be there. A couple spots opened up in our group, and I'm just finalizing details with the boys. Assuming I go, I'll be running a black/red Pro-V with a 200 Opti on the back. I'm usually wearing a Vexilar hat and talking a whole lot of trash with my crew on the docks. Stop by and say hi and we can exchange fishing info.