Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mainbutter

Interesting catch while carp fishing

6 posts in this topic

So I was out fishing for carp today trying out a jighead with artificial grub(worked pretty well too!). The area where I was fishing has a couple of loose logs around, and I was snagging them often enough. At around 5 or so, I hit another snag. I grab my line and pull on it and sure enough it feels like a small loose log, fairly heavy but pulling on it made it come to me slowly but surely.

When I get it close, turns out it wasn't a log.

dscf0827oc3.jpg

Biggest snapping turtle I've eve seen. My lure was caught under the lip of his shell. I didn't have a net with me, and had no way of pulling him up on shore(also was only fishing with 4 or 6 lb test, can't remember for sure what I put on that reel).

Luckily with a bit of effort I got him unhooked, was able to get it done with just leaving him in the water. Best of all, I still have my 10 fingers!

Has this happened to anyone else here? I think I ran across a youtube video of Dtro catching a snapper on the minnesota river.

Happens pretty often on the Crow with snappers for me, it's a surprise though, but when I catch them it's in their mouths.

I've caught a few, though usually on natural baits. It's usually "Darn, I'm snagged. No, I'm not... oh, man, how do I deal with this?" Snip.

i get em all the time when fishing on some rivers. Hate it, cuz either I gotta risk getting my finger taken off, or leave a hook in their mouth/gullet. Those suckers are MEAN, and ridiculously quick and explosive

I catch plenty of turtles throughout the summer.

I catch plenty of turtles throughout the summer.

*snerk*.... No comment

- Sorry, had to go there.