• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Report

Hi everyone. I got off Cutfoot a few hours ago and wanted to put up a report for my "opener" weekend! wink

We didn't have a spectacular day but I didn't get skunked so that always makes it more fun! It felt good to be out in the boat and catching walleyes after a couple months of no fishing. I caught 2 walleyes throughout the day (14 1/4" and a 15"-right there in that slot size!) but missed many bites! I was using a 1/4 oz jig with either a shiner or chub and we fished in about 12 FOW. Jim caught his limit because he usually does. smile It rained and gusted on and off the entire day but I have nice rain gear and stayed dry.

I was going to be brave today and drive the boat away from the dock so Jim could park the truck and then I'd come and pick him up at the dock. As you may know folks, I've been whining about not running our boat and how that bums me out. Well, when we pulled into the Mosomo Point landing, there were no spots left and people were parking on #46. So you guys are thinking, "perfect time for Lisa to help her man out" right? Wrong! I went into panic mode and bowed out of my brave vow to drive the boat. I just didn't want to bump any of the 10 other boats doing the same thing. That would've been a shame.

One more thing I'd like to say is we stopped and bought bait at Fred's Bait in Deer River and they are great bait shop owners. The gal behind the counter was full of info on how others had been doing and she's always cheerful! Oh and the bait was nice and lively!

Good job on those eyes. I was shore fihing in Champlin today, I started out on the fishing pier and ended up getting pushed out by a Dad and his three sons. I really hate when that happens. The dad kept casting his kids line a foot or so from my line. There were a few tangled moments so I gave up and moved. As soon as I picked up my chair the dad moved their stuff to the spot I was in. I guess he wants to teach his sons how to be a rude fisherperson.

I did catch 5lb northern but the wind and rain made up my mind not to go and get more bait. I may head out again on Sunday but we will see.

Any suggestions on how to deal with rude parents without upsetting the kids? I wanted to say something but held my lips shut. By the way within 30 minutes everyone else on the pier ended up leaving.

Hope

Oh man Hope, that just chaps my......lips!! madmad

What could he possibly have to prove to his kids by edging out a good woman for her fishing spot? I'm not sure except how to be psycho competitive? That's just too bad. I think the only thing you could say was "good luck fishing in my spot buddy". But I really don't think any words could change a person who does this sort of thing. frownfrown

But on a positive note, we both got out in the sun, wind, rain, sun, then some more wind and rain and FISHED!! Yay Hope and Lisa!! laugh

Were you fishing at the Mill Pond? Thank goodness it wasn't me as I can be very aggressive at times. They usually stock the pond each year with crappies and sunnies and for about 10 days it seems to be a feeding frenzy. I have seen some very rude people there with their kids, it is such a shame these kids are learning bad habits so young. It doesn't really matter what you say to these jerk-baits as they will still be ignorant after you blast them. Sad to say you did the right thing.

Lisa

Good fishing girl!! I am proud that you were brave enough to think about driving the boat, but you were right not to when in a panic mode. You will do it yet, when things are not so crowded. The way I learned about pulling up to the dock, the old grouch (said lovingly) put two marker buoys about 12 feet apart and then I practiced pulling up parallel to them. The hardest part for me is pulling the dang motor up, would give anything for power trim. Although our old boat I kinda cheated and would shut the motor off, pull it up and row the boat up to the dock. My new boat doesn't have oar locks so can't do that. By the way, I was washing the boat the other day and noticed I have a few scratches on it. sick

Yes I was at Mill Pond, I almost went back today but need to be on a good mood for work tomorrow. I hate getting cranky on the weekend. Instead I am watching the twins and getting ready for next weekend and my first trip of the season to the family cabin in Park Rapids. The Guys were up there this weekend and I cant eait to hear how they did. I am also looking forward to the girls weekend that is coming up.

Good luck to all that are out there today.

Hope

Barb, sorry to hear about the scratches. Do you have a newer boat? We have an older Lund and Jim just ordered new seats for ours. I can't wait for the comfy ride!

Hope, I'm really looking forward to the gtg too! I sure hope it starts getting a little warmer. It was only 37 degrees when we got out on a local lake this morning. I caught a 24" walleye out there this morning and I'm debating on putting a pic up. I look SOOOO tired. eekfrownblush

Lisa those clouds are called Mammatus and are an indication of high winds and a severe storm. When I see those I get off the lake.

Here's a pic of my little Lund 2005 Rebel 1650 forest green. I will tell ya the story about this boat at the Women's GTG.

lund.jpg

Lisa those clouds are called Mammatus and are an indication of high winds and a severe storm. When I see those I get off the lake.

You are right, lambjm, those are Cumulonimbus Mammatus clouds. Those clouds are the indicator of cold air aloft at the top of the anvil of the thunderstorm,sinking into the warm air below that is being being drawn into the thunderhead.You will usually see those clouds on the backside of the thunderstorm, as it is moving away from you.Defintely a sign of major convective activity, inside a cranked up thunderstorm.Anglers must be sky-aware when they see mammatus clouds.

You guys rock!! We couldn't keep our eyes off those clouds because they did happen AFTER the storms blew through. We had about 4 or more of those high crazy wind squalls with those Mammatus clouds after. We finally left the lake after seeing yet ANOTHER storm cell gathering on the horizon and barely got in the truck before it hit. Trees were down at the cabin and the lights were flickering too. But it's hard to leave the lake if you're catching walleyes and they'd bite the best right before the storm or during.

Barb, NICE BOAT!!! Now I know why she's your pride and joy. Wow!

Nice picture, but Barb amd Rockman are right, you see them and get moving off the lake. Man it was windy yesterday, we went from 68 to 48 degress around 4 oclock, then the rains came. I just hope they watered my field.

Originally Posted By: Iambjm

You are right, lambjm, those are Cumulonimbus Mammatus clouds. Those clouds are the indicator of cold air aloft at the top of the anvil of the thunderstorm,sinking into the warm air below that is being being drawn into the thunderhead.You will usually see those clouds on the backside of the thunderstorm, as it is moving away from you.Defintely a sign of major convective activity, inside a cranked up thunderstorm.Anglers must be sky-aware when they see mammatus clouds.

Are you the one who has Skywarn training?

Years ago when I was a member of Bluewater React I took a short skywarn course and found it to be fascinating. I should have kept up with it, but life just sometimes gets in the way. I have always been terrified of storms, and looked upon the course as a way to overcome my fear.

Hope:

Just reach into your tackle box and pull out a big pair of sewing scissors. Snap 'em a few times and say "I sure hope you're not thinking of poaching my spot now, are ya laddie?" If you get tangled, make sure you are the one who reels in the mess, use your clippers to remove the other person's line from yours, hand them their rig, and keep on fishing. Think of it as "tough love".

Tired looking or not, I changed my avatar to the 23 incher I caught today. I returned her to live another sweet day but got a goofy looking avatar out of it! Also, if you want a cap or hat with our Fishing Minnesota, HSO or Iceleaders logo on it Click here!!!

Hope, H2O Milfoil's idea isn't half bad! Gutsy but to the point in a crazy lady sort of a way!! shockedlaugh

Yep, Barb, I did have the training a few times, and am still a weather spotter for the National Weather Service. Certain things in a sky picture are key to indicate trouble a brewing,and that is one of them. Convective/thunderstorm things are nothing to take lightly, as cool as they may seem. I am sure you already know that, but some get too mesmerized by impending storms,especially when the stuff is about to hit the fan in a severe weather situation. The coolest video I ever watched was the 1991 Andover,Kansas tornado on the ground footage. I am sure glad I wasn't there in part of the world at that time. Absolutely awesome the power of that tornado, which was an F5 on the Fujita scale. Cool to watch from afar, but really devastating for those that were there.

Good job out on the lake, that's a nice looking eye. You'll get to driving the boat. Better to do it on a lake there aren't so many people on so you don't freak out. Once you do it, you will be fine. If you can do all you do and still study and get good grades, pretty sure you can drive a boat.

Actually not a bad idea, severe weather season is upon us and even though it is tempting to keep fishing as the old saying goes "It's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature". Fishing ain't no fun if ya get hit by lightning.