• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN/BE River Walleyes

Man the river fishing has been good so far this year. I got a 17" and a 15" walleye among others that I did not keep. My question is after cleaning them I notice the meat looks darker then the fish I caught out of the lakes in the winter. Anyone know if this will effect the taste of them? Reason I ask is I want to go get more but do not want to waste them by deciding they are too gross. I hope everyones season is starting out good like mine. We caught some channels and a 31" northern as well along with some sheep head and other throw backs.

Water quality can have an effect on the meat and its color with some stained water fish gaining more of a stained appearance. Depending on what river and where you are fishing I'd consult the regs and see if they are edible fish.

Tunrevir~

Ive eaten dozens maybe hundreds of eyes out of the area rivers over the last 20 years. The last couple years I switched to all C&R around Mankato, but I have friends that still say they are delicious. The DNR site says a meal per week of 15-20" fish (1 meal/month for pregnant women & kids). I'd recommend keeping smaller fish (17" max) & cutting any read meat out of the filet.