• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solunar Tables and Catfishing

mplspug

I saw in the cat contest thread Steve Demars (Hope I got it right since I apparently have got no permissions to view your profile) noted sun/moon rise and set. Hopefully you come this way or anyone else who has looked into solunar tables.

Steve, do you follow the Solunar tables? I was going to do a little research into it and see if there are even any minor patterns with fish (cats) being caught. I have noticed a lot of cats, especially flatheads were being caught within an hour of each other, even by different anglers in different locations. The problem is I have gone to a few solunar sites and there are variations on the theme. Many have major peaks at different times for the same location, same day. I have read the rising and setting of the sun and/or plus where the sun and moon are in relation to each other are the major factors. Do you know the most reliable method or have a site you can point me to?

This all started when I starting hearing how catfishing was best on a full moon while others claimed a new moon. That got me thinking that maybe the phase (other than being an indicator of the relational positioning of the sun and moon) had less to do with it than the previously mentioned factors.

Anyone looked into the solunar table theory extensively? Or do you know of tables that you are confident using?

The idea is not to just go out for those peak times on those peak days. It's more about being prepared what to expect when you are on the water. For instance, if you new the bite should be hot between 7-8pm, you could be ready for it. Or you might figure out how to fish during peak times and low times to maximize your productivity on the water.

Enough of my babbling pewople. What say you?

I have not got into the lunar thing for cats yet, but I have got in to a little Voodoo. I have a dtro doll in my boat, but after seeing what he caught last night, I have debunked this theory grin.

No! Very interesting thread mplspug! I hope to here more from others on what they think also.

I do think many factors drive these cats to do what they do and a good cat guy has to take all of them in. Luck only goes so far. Time on the river is key, but reading up on this kind of stuff and looking at charts and graphs also helps you understand how things work and translates into more fish (IMO).

I really don't take into consideration, and make my decision to fish according to the table.

It would seem for me that on full moons the bite is not as good... I would venture to guess that there are many other factors that figure into the equation...

Full moons are nice, makes it alot easier to see.

The only argument I've heard for solunar tables being valid for predicting fish activity is that some day-feeding fish will feed at night during a full moon, and thus be less active for any day-fishers, but more active than normal(with normal being not at all) at night.

How this applies to nocturnal feeders, well I have no idea.

I think the full moon turning off the fish is more of a flathead thing. I don't pay attention to them either, like I said, I am curious when I read about guys catching them around the same hour in different areas. Or when it can be dead for hours and all of a sudden you start getting a bunch of runs.

I don't pay attention to those tables either, but I do know that on Saturday night I really got into some good channel fishing. Saturday was a full moon (or at least appeared to be full by looking at it) and the fish were really snapping. My line was only wet for about 3 minutes before I had the 1st fish of many. 4 of them were 7 pounds or better so it was a real good night with the full moon. But, this is the first time it was like that for me. I am sure there are a lot more factors that go into it all.