• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EIC?

eric29

I think my lab had an episode of eic today. I dont know much about it so im not sure if it was that or maybe had something to do with heat. I took her the park and played fetch with her for bout 20 min and then came home. I noticed her walking goofy as soon as we got in the house. She had her back legs spread far apart and almost looked drunk. This wennt on for bout 10-15 min then she was normal. Can any one shine some light on this for me. I think Hemi had posted about this disease before. Is there anything that fixes this or is it some thing they grow out of, is it dangerous?

It can be very dnagerous. No cure and they do not out grow it. Most dogs with EIC are relegated to couch service. A lot of stimualtion and/or exercise will bring about an episode. They begin looking drunk and either walk in a stooper or collapse. Once the body temps normalize and they relax they begin to get their faculties back. If you suspect EIC, I recommend getting to vet who is well aware of the disease and the proper protocol for the dog. If EIC is confirmed, a call to the breeder to let them know of a dog from their breeding has EIC and the parents will be hopefully scratched from future breedings.

Good Luck!

Ken

Does it sound like that is what it is or could it be something else. She is a pretty active dog and has worked harder than that many times, so i dont know what caused it to happen this time.

It sounds like it could be EIC to me, I have a male who has it. He started showing the exact signs at 14 months old. At the time it was fairly new. My vet did not even know what it was. I came across an article online by Dr. Sue Taylor from Saskatchewan about the disease. My dog ended up being part of her study. Not the end of the world, but a huge disapointment. He is now 8 and lives a good life and still hunts some, just have to be smart about it. I don't want to scare you, but you should get her checked out right away.

Do you know how they test for EIC? Last summer, my 8 year old lab had an episode where she looked dizzy and wobbly for a couple minutes then was fine. Then about a month ago she had the same thing happen only she was in the house and hadn't been exercising. This dog has had more strenuous exercise in her 8 years than any dog I ever owned without any signs of this before last summer. Can EIC show up for the first time in an older dog?

Generally no. But not impossible. There are other conditions that can cause 'wobbliness'. It could be a simple as hypoglycemic. A trip to the vet after another episode should be made so they can do some blood work. The test for EIC is not out yet, so it's best to go to a vet who is well versed on the malady.

Good Luck!

Ken