• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help!!!!! Motor Issues

confused Went out to waconia tonight and couldn't get my motor to run and keep running it kept acting like it was flooded, because if I left it sit for a short time it would fire right up but yesterday it ran like a top So got home tonight and did a spark test and both have great spark, but ran for a short while and took plugs out and they appeared to be wet and I also checked both pistons and they were fine What could be going on and if it matters the motor is a 1965 Evinrude Big Twin 40HP

Thanks

I would put money on the ignition coils. Old OMC's (Johnson/Evinrude) are notorious for the casing on the coils cracking from age, and will work until they get warm and build high resistance. Once they cool off, they will create spark again, and can intermittently work at warm temps.

I had posted this in boats and motors but only got one feedback and hoping to have better luck here and I thought maybe it made more sense to post it here since it is a tricky one IMO.

Here is the problem

Last thursday I took it out and it ran perfect and went out friday night and for some reason it keeps fouling the plugs and my only thoughts are either gas is mixed a little richer than it is suppose to be I have been mixing it 50/1 but if I mixed it a little bit rich I don't think thats enough to take out the plugs.

The only other thing I think it could be is the coils going bad at least thats what one guy told me it could be, but doesn't seem realistic to me that they would both go out at the same time and I checked the spark and both of them have excellent spark.

The only other thing is that maybe it is getting way to much fuel some how maybe the float is sticking or something

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I want to take my 8yo on his first bass opener trip next weekend Thanks Chris

Being an ex-OMC mechanic, I would suspect the stuck float avenue. You should be able to see fuel spilling out of the throat of the carb when it is running if the float is stuck.

I'm thinking on the same lines as Shamrock.

Stuck float, dirty or worn out inlet valve. Maybe a choke stuck shut or linkage to the choke disconnected and its flapping shut.

Pull the cover off and inspect the carbs. You might have a cover over that carbs, take it off. Any mouse nesting material in there?

Pump up the primer bulb, it should get hard and you shouldn't be able to pump any more gas into the carb. If you can still pump gas and its leaking out the throat theres your answer.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I was going to pull the carb off and clean everything good, once the twins go to bed for the night they are only 7 months old and can be a real handful we like to call 6-8 their "power hour" so once thats over mamma will let me go putz with the boat