• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailblazer no start

I have a '03 Trailblazer EXT with 5.3 V8.

car won't start anymore, when I turn key it will light up das as usual, then when I turn into "start" position there's...nothing. All the gauges and lights shut off except for Check Engine and Brakes lights (I think it's normal) but now crank at all.

I checked and switched relays, breakers, fuses, tapped starter, etc.....no luck.

Airjer, I read online ignition switches are common to go out on TBs, is it true ? I have to leave monday and wife needs car to go to work, I have 2 days to find a solution.

Why do I always break down on weekends ? Why my family gets sick or hurt only on weekends ? Why everything bad always happens on weekends ??? mad

My first thought is to see if the security light is flashing if its not I'm checking for power at the starter "s" terminal while somebody holds the key in the crank position.

If there is power than I would make sure that the starter has twelve volts to it and condemn the starter.

If there is no power than I would put it in neutral and try to start it. If it doesn't the next thing I would do is pull the steering wheel covers and start checking the power in and out at the ignition switch. Your looking for 12 volts all the time on the red wire and 12 volts with the key in the crank position on the yellow wire.

I have charged battery and done all the obvious checks (fuses, relays, etc). When I turn the key I can hear/feel starter solenoid click.

I will try to get to the starter but it's buried in a VERY uncomfortable position. I think Chevy bought the starter and built the truck around it.

Quote:
My first thought is to see if the security light is flashing

Airjer brings up a great point with the above!

Could also be the starter its self. When you are down their, try tapping it with a hammer.

I think Chevy bought the starter and built the truck around it.

Aint that the truth.

Chevy starters have a nack for getting flat spots in the armature. Give it a tap tap with a hammer and see if it cranks over. This is a common occurance in GM's.

If you can hear it click than all you have to do is check for voltage on the positive cable end at the battery while somebody is cranking. just to make sure you are getting a full twelve volts. Likely if its clicking it has gone bad.

Ok, found the problem.

Starter. I removed it and solenoid did not "click". Tapped heavy a couple of times, etc and got it to click again but I was not going to reinstall, Napa sold me a reman, and wife is happy and running (and me too).

Thanks to everybody !!!

And when the wife is happy, everybody is happy!!!!! laugh

Isn't it amazing how all this stuff breaks when a guy only has a few days to do stuff around the house!??!! Or, it breaks on Sunday, when no parts stores are open, and a guy has to take off first thing Monday morning. crazy