Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
john.wells

Here's a good one

19 posts in this topic

Schools in Princeton initiated a lockdown Friday afternoon, after a man allegedly was trying to shoot a fish.

Police received a call from Princeton Middle School officials regarding a single gunshot that was heard near the school grounds just before 1 p.m.

School officials immediately initiated a lockdown at the four district buildings.

Police found a man who was fishing in a boat on the Rum River in Princeton Township. The man admitted he had fired a single shot at a carp. Princeton Police made the determination that the situation was not a threat to the students and staff at the schools.

The students and staff were allowed to resume normal activities.

*Story credits to KSTP.*

Well, you can't go to the legion and have a beer and smoke anymore, so why not go fishing with a boat and a shotgun.......

See what I have to live with. blush

I personally love the story! Redneck at it's best, and liberal hooey at it's best! Granted, with all of the recent shootings at schools, it doesn't hurt to take precautions, but everyone is so jumpy these days.

You are a school administrator.

You hear a gunshot.

You lock down the school because the safety of your children is always your first concern.

You find out later it was someone shooting at a fish.

You sleep well that night, knowing that a gunshot in your hearing is sign enough that BAD things could be happening right then and there, and that you have taken the appropriate action.

You wake to see a post on an online forum saying you overreacted.

You laugh at the Monday morning quarterbacks, thank God it wasn't someone with a gun in school, and sleep soundly again tonight.

You are a guy out on the river.

You shoot a fish.

You get your fish.

The cops show up and inform you that they had to lock down the school just a short ways away.

You wonder what the [PoorWordUsage] happened to the country that your generation built, fought and died for.

Perspective is everything.

Perspective is sometimes an excuse for fuzzy logic. But it's also sometimes an avenue for insight. Which is it in this case? Who knows?

I take it this school will be in constant lockdown come november.

I'm sure it's just some ol' boys reality. My Grandfather told me a story about the day he proposed to my Grandmother and they were walking along a creek in Idaho and he shot a fish for supper that day. It was December 3, 1935.

I just think it's sad that things have come to this. Still a great story!

dude yove got a real fettish going on with libs the way you constantly remind us how libs have screwed everything up .

the school administrator acted as i would. in this day of wall to wall parolees, its good to be cautious. the school principal is responsible for the safety of the kids. if the school admin. DIDN'T act, and a tragic school shooting happened, everybody would be screaming about the negligent principal. I am sure it's better to be laughed at on Minnesota fishing forum than to have dead and wounded kids on your conscience. lets not second guess the school. at least this one turned out kind of funny. but it could have turned out differently. yeah, i agree. we live in times were the most ridiculous things seem to pop up. but this isnt one of them

dude yove got a real fettish going on with libs the way you constantly remind us how libs have screwed everything up .

Yes I do, and not ashamed of it.

From Wikipedia, wikiquotes:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

This statement was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759) which was attributed to Franklin in the edition of 1812, but in a letter of September 27, 1760 to David Hume, he states that he published this book and denies that he wrote it, other than a few remarks that were credited to the Pennsylvania Assembly, in which he served. The phrase itself was first used in a letter from that Assembly dated November 11, 1755 to the Governor of Pennsylvania. An article on the origins of this statement here includes a scan that indicates the original typography of the 1759 document, which uses an archaic form of "s": "Thoſe who would give up Essential Liberty to purchaſe a little Temporary Safety, deſerve neither Liberty nor Safety." Researchers now believe that a fellow diplomat by the name of Richard Jackson is the primary author of the book. With the information thus far available the issue of authorship of the statement is not yet definitely resolved, but the evidence indicates it was very likely Franklin, who in the Poor Richard's Almanack of 1738 is known to have written a similar proverb: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."

From Wikipedia, wikiquotes:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

This statement was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759) which was attributed to Franklin in the edition of 1812, but in a letter of September 27, 1760 to David Hume, he states that he published this book and denies that he wrote it, other than a few remarks that were credited to the Pennsylvania Assembly, in which he served. The phrase itself was first used in a letter from that Assembly dated November 11, 1755 to the Governor of Pennsylvania. An article on the origins of this statement here includes a scan that indicates the original typography of the 1759 document, which uses an archaic form of "s": "Thoſe who would give up Essential Liberty to purchaſe a little Temporary Safety, deſerve neither Liberty nor Safety." Researchers now believe that a fellow diplomat by the name of Richard Jackson is the primary author of the book. With the information thus far available the issue of authorship of the statement is not yet definitely resolved, but the evidence indicates it was very likely Franklin, who in the Poor Richard's Almanack of 1738 is known to have written a similar proverb: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power."

that doesnt apply to a school who has to make a decision for the safety of the students. my first gut instinct is to laugh at it. after years of ridiculous zero tolerance policies of kids being near arrested for having a plastic knife in their vehicle, can you blame me? but i would rather be laughed at for overreacting than have to go to court to be sued by parents because i didnt take precautions to protect their brats after i heard a gunshot

Ok, I run the risk of being banned, but here goes- How many students across the country go to school day in and day out and never have any incidents that jeopardize their lives???? Sure, the results are tragic when it does happen, but do the math. The odds are better for kids to die in a bus wreck. I haven't researched the numbers yet, but rest assured I will and report back if I am able. What I initially had thought as a merely entertaining story has turned into what could be a monster.

The current trend right now is for someone to go out with a lot of attention, for lack of better words, with all the attention the media gives to a tragedy. Thankfully the media didn't harp on it. You say odds are better for kids to be killed in a bus It still doesn't takeaway the fact of the trend. It is better to use caution in the society that has been created by ourselves. And it is not a particular party that is at fault. You think it is why don't I feel safer after almost 8 years.

Oh boy. Don't ever expect to feel safe. I voted for Bush twice, but I don't agree with everything he has done, quite the opposite to say the least. Do you want to live forever? Do you think that some little twist of fate can't happen to you? We all have to die, and hoping for safety is an unachievable goal. Safe, safe, safe, good ol' Uncle Sam'll keep you safe!