• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrels Digging Up Bulbs!!!

NCLaker

Looking for some help. I usually don't mind the squirrels, but this year they have been digging up my wife's bulbs she planted earlier in this spring.

Anyone have suggestions on keeping them out for bulbs already planted? And suggestions how to keep them away before planting?

Thanks!

I use a hav-a-hart trap, then pop em in the head with a pellet gun in the basement. Avoids the risk of neighbors calling in to the police that they saw a dude with a gun in the backyard...

also I found that paprika or cayenne pepper sprinkled on the ground will work, or at least cut down on the frequency of their destructive digging

Just trap them them and shoot them. Squirrels are terribly over populated in most urban areas anyway.

Try baiting in some fox or coyotes. I had squirrels everywhere. Then we recently notice a fox in the backyard in the middle of the day. Its been around quit frequently. We haven't seen a squirrel in months.

Definitely would want to be careful shooting them if you have any reservations about the neighbors being upset. Can't find the issue right now (think my wife threw it away) but seem to remember seeing in Outdoor News a couple weeks back in Cuffs n Collars one of the CO's reporting an investigation into taking squirrels out of season. Would suck to get a small game violation just for getting rid of pests.

You'll wanna check the regs, but if they are doing damage to your garden I believe you can even take them without a hunting license. And out of season. Don't quote me on it though.