• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Multi meter

youngie22

Question

Hey folks lookin' for a reccomendation for a quality multimeter at a resonable price. Would like it to also read a decent temperature range. will probably order one from some where soon; Hopin' I can find some good advice here. Thanx guys

8 answers to this question

Fluke has always had a good reputation. I currently use a Blue-Points sold by snap-on. It is a fluke with the blue point brand on it. I have noticed some nice meters at sears as well. On the other extreme I have a Radio-Shack pocket multi-meter which works just as well as my blue-point and it only ran me $20 but it is limited to voltage ac/dc and ohms.

It all depends on what you plan on using it for, and how much you want to spend. I personally have a Fluke 88, this has been a great tool, has been used alot and never had a problem with it. It will do alot, but the cost is around $500. You can find cheaper ones that will do almost everything that the Fluke will do for under $100.

If you're serious about good features that can tell you minimum/maximum voltage, pulse width, and every bell and whistle then a Fluke is for you. If you are just looking at the basics, you don't need to spend more than about 50 bucks for a pretty good unit. A Fluke is a pro's tool. You can't go wrong with one, but the cost is steep.

I had my choice when I got mine of a Greenlee or a Fluke. I took the Greenlee. Almost the same meter, but got mine for a few bucks less. It is a Pros meter like was mentioned, but you don't go wrong buying good tools.

I have a couple of Fluke meters and they are top notch. But, as mentioned, they're not cheap.

Was caught short one time and bought a really cheap one ($15?) Electro-Tek brand at Walmart just to get by.

I brought it out to work and checked it on some of our calibrated equipment and this el-cheapie is more than accurate enough for homeowner/casual use. In fact, it was spot on with most ranges.

I suspect the biggest downside is that it won't take abuse like a Fluke would and how long will it last? But, for $15 or whatever, you can hardly go wrong for casual, non-critical use.

If you use a multimeter on a daily basis for your job then go with a Fluke or equivalent. If it's just for the backyard mechanic or around the garage/home there are quite a few that will do just fine at an affordable price as you're most likely just looking for, say 12V on a battery and don't really care that it's accurate out 12.001V. I have a Craftsman DMV for home use and work provided me with a nice Fluke DMV.