Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
evinrude19

vexilars

7 posts in this topic

i have thinking about buying a transducer for my boat for the vexilar and was wondering does it work good? and has anyone tried just putting the transducer over the side of the boat like ice fishing?

thanks

zach

I have anchored and jigged many times throwing the transducer over the edge of the boat.Works great.

I really like my old FL-8. I have used it in the front w/ the narrow cone ice ducer it came with. Liked having it in the boat so I went out and bought the wider cone rear mount transducer, power cable, tilt housing, magnifying plastic lens cover and a Ram mount so I now use it at the tiller along w/ my LCD.

Keep your transducers as far apart as possible or on seperate sides of the rear of your boat.

Really fun to use the Vex to tune your LCD. If you see it on the Vex you should see it on the LCD and at the same size.

The magnifier and the Ram mount help me see it if I'm in the front.

Once and great while it will blank out my LCD screen and doesn't seem to like high speed too much.

I use my FL-12 year round.....just get a puck transducer and attach it to the trolling motor.

I used a FL-18 on my old boat and used it for jigging a lot. I bought a Lowrance for my new boat and it has a flasher built in it. I have the old transducer if interested? Like sakazulu said above, you must have your two transducers apart from each other; or only run the vex, otherwise you get interference from the vex on your other graph.

Another tip, if your just running an aluminum boat. If its light enough you can put the normal tranducer right on the bottom of the boat, with just a little water to keep the tranducer wet and it will shoot right through the hull. I do it with my 14' Boat and it works great. Nothing better than real time info.

I just mounted my FL-8SE in my 14 foot lund using the Vexilar alumaducer which shoots right through the aluminum. It works awesome!! I mounted it under the back bench seat using some marine silicone and really liked the fact that I didn't have to drill any holes and the transducer is completely out of sight. I can even pick up my jig on the Vex when vertically jigging for eyes. Just thought I would trow out another option.

Cory