• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

91 merc 60 hp problem

I have a 91 merc 60. was out fishing this morning, ran across the lake and slowed to an idle. motor quit, would not start. Good spark, compression on the cylinder end. Good fuel pressure to carbs and carbs are clean. Inside, reed valves seem to be functioning properly, but there is no gas getting from the intake to the plugs. All 3 are dry. Anyone have a solution short of getting a new one??

Thanks for any help, Brent

Hi Brent...

So, after you slowed to an idle it quit, or while you were running across the lake the motor slowed to an idle and then quit?

Did the motor start again after that and run fine, or what's the situation now?

marine_man

It quit while I had it slowed to an idle. Tomorrow I'm going to tear it down to see what is up. It won't fire on it's own at all, and I'm down to thinking it might be crank seal or plugged exhaust. Guess I'll keep going until I find the problem. I'll entertain any possible thoughts.

marine_man, thanks for the reply. I've been talking to Simon a few times, Matt once in the past month, how's your family doing??

We have to ask to pinpoint problem a little better.

Did you check throttle function on carbs ? I mean do they open up when you throttle up ?

Did you try to swap fuel line and bulb ? Did you try to squeeze bulb while running (if you get it running) ?

Try to spray some carb cleaner into intake and see if motor starts ( NOT starting fluid, just a little carb cleaner).

Fro your post you seem very knowledgeable of motors, I am sure you already did some or all the things I asked (and maybe Marine_Man will ask) but we have to ask so we know what to do ( or ask ) next.

Sorry for the lack of information. It has proper function of carb operation, and does not fire on carb cleaner sprayed directly through the carburators.

It's an internal problem so it is heading for the shop this week. I just don't have the time to tear it down and get it back together.

Thanks to you guys for the consideration of my problem, I hope to help you as well some day. Brent

Might help during you trouble shooting if you prime straight to cylinder by pulling a plug. Do one at a time. If she fires you can eliminate electrical. Once she fires you could use a spray bottle of mixed gas though the carb to get all 3 cylinders to light up.