• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help on scope

I just bought new rifle for deer hunting. I am having hard time decide which scope I should buy Leupold rifleman or Leupold VX-I. Do you guys have any experience with these scope? And which is better 2-7 or 3-9? I will be hunting in woods. Thanks

The rule to follow with scopes is to always buy the best you can afford. Period. The last thing you want is to get out there and find out that your scope has fogged up, or got moisture in it, or the reticle has moved, or when you try to look through the scope everything is dark, etc. It can be hard to do, but don't skimp in this area.

Regarding 2-7 or 3-9, there won't be much difference in performance. Since you said you're in the woods, I'd probably lean toward the 2-7 for the bigger, brighter field of view, and probably not having long shots where you need to really crank up the magnification. But having said that, 3-9 are very popular and may be priced a little better ---- which may allow you to get into a better scope. I think all my scopes are 3-9.

Between the two the VX-I is about the same money and a slightly better scope than the Rifleman line. In addition it doesn't have the annoying gold "Rifleman" stamp on the bell. They are each supposed to be the same as the old Vari-x ii line, but for some reason the VX-I has tested better than the Rifleman.

IIRC the Rifleman has a "wide duplex" reticle instead of the standard.

I recently received a 2-7x33 Rifleman on a Swedish Mauser I bought. Decent scope. It'll stay on the rifle until I am sick of or used to the gold lettering.

Either the 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 will do fine for most applications. The deciding factor is which one fits your rifle AND mounting system.

So, tell us more about your rifle ... make, model, or short action, have bases and rings yet? ...

Brand new Remington model seven CDL in 7mm-08 Rem is a short action rifle. I already have base leupold STD 2 pieces. But rings not yet wait till I get scope. I think I might go for 2-7x33mm because it is more suitable in dense cover of north woods.

Excellent choice.

I put together a M7 7mm08 for my girlfriend last year. Wasn't as fancy as the CDL as I put a matte youth barreled action into an older light walnut stock but you will love the handy package!

I personally have a phobia re: windage adjustable bases. Only have them on rifles where I have no other easy option. Seriously consider a pair of Talley Lightweight Low's. Can be had for under $ 50 shipped online. Only issue is they are about as high as others mediums and easily handle scopes with 42mm objectives. If you want to go lower in profile, I ended up with a one piece Dednutz mounting (about $65 shipped) under a 2-7x32 Cabela's Alaskan Guide that was blown out at $99. Scope is a brand named bushnell elite. Very similar to the $129 Browning 2-7x32's that Natchez had (maybe still). Incredible value. Better scope than the VX-I Leupold too.

Come to think of it, you can do Dednutz mounts and a Natchez Browning labeled Bushnell Elite for the same price as a VX-I.

That's what I'd do.

Good luck with the rifle!

P.S. Doecamper's M7 prefers 50g H4350 under 139 gr Hornady SP in Win Brass primed with F210GM and loaded to 2.82 OAL(Magazine Length). Chrony's a consistent 2875 or so and shoots nice inchish triangles. Plus it is arguably the best dang whitetail bullet ever made when launched at sub 2900 fps.

Another issue to consider is heavier cross hairs especially if your hunting thick woods. This help not only to pick up the target easier it will aid you in deciphering from tree limbs, brush and the standard thin line cross hair.

I also recommend the VX II as a better choice. To those that say buy the best you can afford, with a little research and reading you can find high quality optics for similar prices as others.

Drift,

I rate the Bushnell Elite/Alaskan Guide/Browning labeled glass at the same level as the Sightron SII's I drive. The Cabelas AG is only significantly edged out by the VX-III and Sightron SII Big Sky in my stable for low light performance. (That SII B 6x42 is ridiculously bright. Makes a man feel like a sniper crossed with an owl/bat for hunting in low light).

One thing to note about reticles is the Leupy duplexes are finer than most others. The two skinheads I took during early antlerless were at about 50 yards at last light over a food plot in deep dark woods. I was using an older M8 4x33 Leupold with standard duplex. I have to say that I would have liked a thicker reticle for those shots. In regular season I shot my buck over the same plot at the same range and light conditions with a 3-12x42 Sightron SII (Set at 3x). Much better sight picture.

Heavy Duplex Leupy's are kind of a specialty item (Unless you are talking their line of Shotgun Scopes - which wouldn't be bad for this application either IMHO).