Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nate McVey

Post your opener reports here.

4 posts in this topic

I left Duluth at 4:30 a.m., destination Lake Gogebic to meet up with my dad for the day. We were fishing before 8 and it didn't take long to find the infamous 13" Lake Gogebic walleye. The lake was somewhat calm this morning and the sun was shining, a combination that doesn't lead to productive fishing on this lake. We started in 15 ft. of water with slip bobbers, jigs and crank baits. Slip bobbers seemed to be the ticket until the wind picked up around noon.

Lake Gogebic can whip into a frenzy quickly and my dad and I fish out of a 50 year old 12 ft. aluminum Starcraft with a 5.5 horse motor. Not a good combination for getting off a nasty lake in a hurry grin. Once the wind picked up, we got out of the whitecaps and began to drift the east shore with Lindy rigs and started to pick up some fish. Green beads and a silver blade seemed to be the ticket, landing us 2 decent northerns, a smallie and a dozen or so eyes.

We finished the day with over 25 eyes, keeping a small meal to bring back to Duluth. Oh ya, I also brought home a wicked sunburn! grin

How did everyone else do?

Same here Nate, I went to Palmroy and LG with some mixed results. I didn't catch one female, all males at both lakes, not even close to the #'s previous years. I have been having great success this year working the shorelines and rock humps on Gile Flowage in Hurley tossing #11 raps.

Oops, I forgot to mention that. Every single one of those walleyes was a male. First time that has ever happened on opening day.

Well how's everyone doing? I've heard some good reports of bass being caught in the Watersmeet area, as well as some nice fish coming out of Beaten's lake.

Haven't been over since opener, but am hoping to make a trip in the next week.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   Hopefully the trend towards "the other white meat" will bring down the cost of beef brisket
    •   No, weekends was when the wife could get you outside to do some yard work!
    •   They are now making a cloth made out of trees and it seems like the plant is doing just fine. I have not noticed the "smell" since the conversion. Always made me wonder why the smell was the worst on weekends. Kinda thought that maybe the EPA did not work weekends 
    • We are heading back up to Isle Royale for the 4th holiday weekend ,,, Hope to have another video when we get back 
    •   My Father-in-law (a master plumber) always used to say you only need to know 3 things to be a plumber:          sh*t doesn't run uphill         payday is on Friday         the boss is an ahole      
    • I've been getting them at Costco,  I've checked slyvee and sams but never see them.  Although one of the butcher's at slyvee says he can get them which might not be a bad idea since you can have some fat cut off before you pay per #. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it was about 2.80 a #, which isn't too bad yet considering bacon in the store can run quite a bit more than that.  You making bacon or doing pork belly burnt ends moon lake?
    • Excellent summer fishing.  Charters catching strong numbers.  Jig/minnow or jig/leech and bouncers with spinners with crawlers or minnows still producing walleyes. When the wind is right for pulling spinners, they have been lights out.  Walleyes being caught in varying depths, 7-31' of water.  Some shallow shorelines still producing. Pike mixed in all over the lake.    Walleyes in the Rainy River with a better morning/evening bite.  Trolling cranks or pulling spinners a good idea to cover more water. Smallmouth bass are out and about along shorelines and feeder streams. Sturgeon fishing opens again Saturday, July 1st.     Up at the NW Angle, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s. Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches or crankbaits along the weed line. Crawlers on a  gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 - 26 feet. On the Canadian side, bottom bouncers and spinners have been filling the livewells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have produced nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing picking up with high 40” class fish being caught with a few 50's from shallow bottom bays or adjacent to them.
  • Our Sponsors