• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elk River area

eyestogills

This is a great site. Trying to get a feel for it. So dont yell at me if I put this in the wrong area or something.

I need to find some guys that like to fish the local areas to me. Any site or area that would help me find people looking to go out some time? I am pretty new and everyone else seems to already have established fishing buddies.

Also was looking for ATV riders. But I see the ATV site puts out rides they are doing.

How about the Mississippi in the Elk River area. Can it be fished with any luck in this area? I have no idea if it even has any depth around here.

Thanks Guys and gals--

There are "Open seats" to be had on the sight from time to time. You just have to watch for them. If I remember right the metro forum usualy has a running thread. Try the Mississippi North or East Central as well. You never know when something is going to pop up.

Welcome to FM. Enjoy the addiction.

Welcome to FM eyes. Mississippi North, Eas Central and Metro area would be good starts. Also, if you are looking for an open see, I have one often. Look in the metro area link and there is a running thread for it. You can post in there that you are looking for a seat. There is an ATV area on the site as well. Lots of good info to have there.

Eyestogills, like Sand and the Neighbor said, the 'Sippi North forum, East Central, and Metro area are all good spots to find information you're lookin for.

As far as fishing that stretch of the river, if you have a prop boat, don't do it. The river is very shallow in that area and will eat props and lower units for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Jet boats do good up there as well as canoes and yaks. Waders are always another good option. The fishing in the area, can be phenominal. Smallies are a prime target there as well as channel cats. Have fun and keep us posted on how you do. That's what this little site here is all about.

There is awesome fishing in the Elk River Area. You float the stretch from Monticello to Elk River, and it's probably one of the best small mouth fisheries around.

Also - check out the "Annandale - Buffalo - Big Lake" forum - lots of great information there on local lakes. In fact, Big Lake is a terrific fishery - just wonderful for bass - northern and sunfish. It gets very busy in the weekend but is open during the week.

I lived there for 10 years - wonderful part of the country.

Thanks Guys--(gals)

I will keep my eyes open in those areas.

And I really wont take my Boat out on the river. ( I like my lower unit) Thanks for the heads up

Trying to get out today--it looks gorgeous out.

Welcome to FM, I am in the Big lake area. Have fished many of the spots close to you. If you want to fish the river, check out the spot across the road from the power plant. I see a guy out there every morning. He must be catching something. The eyes are starting to pick up a little in this area, depending witch lake you choose. PM me if you would like to go fishin sometime. My schedual is usaully pretty busy, but I try to plan for Friday and saturday trips. Once again welcome to the area!!

Thanks Davesfriend--Not sure how to PM,( it says I cannot send them to you.

But I would always be up for fishing. I usually need a few days notice. I hope to get out this afternoon. But I have been working all week to get out today---

I Have always wanted to get over to the park and fish on the river. Just not sure what to fish for.

Eyestogills,

Welcome to the forum. I would love to get out fishing with you sometime. I am in the Rogers area. I have a boat, but keep it up at the cabin, so would either have to plan a time to bring it down or invite you up some time. I also have a Larson runabout that is equipped with a trolling motor, but it is a little hard to fish out of it, but works in a pinch. If you want to get out during the week, let me know.

Again welcome to the forum!

Regards,

NoviceFishingDad

eyestogills,if you are going to fish the river,stick to the river channel in traveling up river,especially west of the Hwy. 10 wayside rest/Hwy. 101 bridge access.Don't get too nuts on the speed in the areas off of the channel.The river is fairly high right now, so boating is less of an issue going over rocky bottom areas, but it will become an issue later on as the water drops.Take it slow,and watch where you are going.Debris in the current, and higher water levels, can be a problem, so take it slow to avoid any issues, if possible.The further west you go-past Otsego Park, the more shallow,rocky areas you will encounter.Jet boats rule in these parts,. as well as anglers in waders.Great smallmouth fishing to be had on this part of the Mississippi, just use your head when boating in these parts.Head over to the Mississippi North forum for more detailed info. on this section of the river.

Copy that,eyestogills. There may be a few anglers who visit the Mississippi North forum regularly, that might have an open seat in the boat,as well. It never hurts to post up, and ask. smile