• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lots of Roosters Showing Off

I know breeding season can last for a few months across MN but I'd have to argue that its peaking based on how many roosters I'm seeing daily on my commute. I may have to leave earlier next week and snap a few pictures. They are putting on lots of shows for hens...in ditches, on ridgelines, in open spots...anywhere to show off with puffed chests, ruffled feathers and squawking.

Anybody else seeing lots of show off roosters on the roadsides?

Maybe they are on to something... Look at most of us slobs, we put on a fancy shirt, some new jeans and slick our hair, maybe a dash of cologne for our ladies. The rooster pheasants, they fluff up, strut, act tough and the do little dances. hmmmmmmmmm, dancing, that must be it!!!

The shows are cool to witness, I have seen a couple fights too, WOW impressive. Neat time of year, won't be long and tons of chick will be scurrying on the roads!!!!

I have seen a pile of them in the ditches on the way to work. Hopefully this weather will straighten out. I think we are going to be looking at a very good year for birds. I agree I think I may need to leave a bit early and take some pictures as well. It would be nice to see a bit more snow in the winter to help hunt the yote so they quit killin so many birds.

Headed to North Branch this morning and saw about 10 by my place. One had the best color to him. It was amazing. Saw a hen fly across the road the other day followed by 3 roosters. Wonder what happened later?

I agree with the amount of bird sightings. The last few years I have seen very few but this spring for some odd reason in my area there seem to be a large amount of birds. Lets hope for a good spring for nesting and the fall shall be very enjoyable.

I've seen and heard tons of birds in the last 2 days out turkey hunting.

Last night I saw one rooster with a harem of 4 hens and he ran off another rooster. I also video taped them mating with the video camera. Hopefully if we get that edited I can post it up.

The door is open for so many comments right now, but I will just leave them all alone!!!!!

I am very excited to see some chicks. I just hope conditions stay favorable for a good nesting, hatch and first 6 weeks so we have a good strong bird ready to take on the elements.