• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pet safe Dandelion killer

DRH1175

Does anyone know of a non toxic pet safe weed killer to get rid of my dandelions? I have read a few things on Vinager, and soap mixture. Has anyone used it. I am buying an electric sprayer for my atv. But with a couple dogs I do not want to risk their health with the 2-4d products on the market.

I'm not sure of any of the alternatives. I still use the 2-4D products with my dog and kids. As long as the product has dried there is no danger. The products are usually dry within an hour but I keep them off for at least 3 hrs just to be sure.

I've applied the products for years professionally and I know many of the other guys here have too. Of all the products out there, things that kill dandi's are among the "safest".

I agree with powerstroke, I just leave the dogs and kids in for around 3 hours before I let them out on it. I do the same with fertilizer. I don't know that you have to, but better to be safe.

Pet safe?

read labels. Licensed professionals have to obide by application

directions on labels as it's a federally regulated law through the EPA. Homeowners should also follow directions, as adverse reactions may happen when not following or understanding label directions.

That given, the viniger you're talking about is not safe, or over the counter strength.

----------------

In May 2002, U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) issued a press release describing their research on weed control using vinegar. The research was prompted by the organic farming community's need for an inexpensive and environmentally benign weed killer. Greenhouse and field studies indicated that while 5% vinegar solutions did not produce reliable weed control, solutions of 10, 15, and 20% provided 80-100% control of certain annual weeds (foxtail, lambsquarters, pigweed, and velvetleaf). Perennial weeds (Canada thistle) treated with 5% vinegar showed 100% shoot burndown but roots were not affected, therefore shoots always re-grew. Study details can be found at http://www.barc.usda.gov/anri/sasl/vinegar.html.

I've been thinking about this now for the last couple of days working.

If you wanted a truly safe dandelion removal, then that's getting out there with a little shovel / trowel, and digging the plant out by hand, making sure you get the entire tap root.

If you're planning on going somewhere for a couple of days, try to apply chemicals right before you leave if you're very concerned about people / plants running around on the lawn.

Most of the products out there that are used by chemical applicators say on the label "do not re-enter area for 12 hours".

I'm not sure about other "homeowner" products, but read the label, it's there for a reason. It should say at what point you can re-enter the treated area.

If you have a larger area, then do 1/2 one weekend, keeping the kids and pets off for 2-3 days, then do the other 1/2. This way you still have access to your yard.

This is what I do at my house. I'll do the entire yard, except for the fenced in area. Then the following weekend I'll do the fenced in area, and the rest of the yard is good to go.