• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions about Texturing

cliffy

As some of you may remember, I am in the middle of finishing my garage. I have completed the tape/mud job and now I am thinking of doing an orange peel texture on the walls and ceiling.

I got a couple of estimates from local guys and I believe they are fair deals, but just too much money for me at this time. So, I was talking with a few people and someone suggested that I just do it myself. Rent the equipment and go at it. Others had said it was not something a first time DIY'er could handle.

My question is this: Is there anyone on this site that has tackled this sort of thing by themselves? If so, how difficult was it and would you do it again?

I watched it a few times, then "apprenteced" a few times before I was alowed to tackle it on my own. It is a consistancy thing. Getting the mud to flow right out of the gun and not run down the walls is the hardest part. Then making sure it is even. It all adds up.

For a first timer I would find someone to do it. No one "ows you one"? Someone who has done it, or a painter/taper looking to learn who could use you as a test subject. Some guys look for a place to teach their guys on that is not a real "paying customer.

Why do you want to texture the garage? It will look cool for a little bit but all of those edges are going to collect more dust and dirt than you can imagine. You will end up cleaning the walls pretty often if you want it clean. Something to consider instead of doing a smooth job with just paint.

Why do you want to texture the garage? It will look cool for a little bit but all of those edges are going to collect more dust and dirt than you can imagine. You will end up cleaning the walls pretty often if you want it clean. Something to consider instead of doing a smooth job with just paint.

Yeah, I considered that....but I think a nice lite orange peel texture job will give a nice finished look to the whole deal. I dont do much in my garage besides tinker around so I dont think I will kick up too much dirt. Plus, part of me just wants to try and texture it on my own for the sense of doing the complete job myself.....but the other part of me does not want to mess it up and make it look like a third grader puked on over the place.

Thanks

Cliff

...but the other part of me does not want to mess it up and make it look like a third grader puked on over the place.

I scraped "puke" off the back walls of a few different closet walls much to the ammusement of my former boss. Ahh the memories. crazycrazy

I did my basement myself and it was a piece of cake once I got the hang of it. I practiced on a cardboard refrigerator box beforehand to get the correct setting on the sprayer.

As long as your compressor can deliver air at the desired psi consistently you should be OK.

I bought the sprayer because I had a couple other jobs to do as well, so if you want to borrow it and play around with it to see if its something you want to try to tackle or not just let me know.

I wouldn't texture a garage either but its your garage and you can do what ever you want. You can rent everything you need to do the job, although Giddy made a generous offer to lend you his.

Getting the air and feed dialed in along with the proper consistency of the mix is half the battle. You can by the premix or dry and mix yourself. I use thinned general purpose joint compound on walls because its harder then the texture mix. You'll want a 1/2 drill and paddle for mixing. Premix will need to be thinned. Dry mix should be mixed one day ahead time. Pancake batter or oatmeal is what your looking for.

Use cardboard or a sheet of plastic to get the air and feed set along with a feel for it. First timers mess up by putting it on to thick. The idea is not complete coverage, you still want to see the wall between splatters. Take that into account on the corners.

Let it dry before priming and painting. I'd spray it but if you can't don't over do it with a roller or you dissolve or pull up the texture.

If you do texture the walls, they will be much more difficult to patch if you need to at a later date. Don't know if that is a concern of yours, but patching orange peel is very difficult and takes a steady experienced hand.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the offer....I might have to give you a call. I was also thinking of just buying the gun myself...as I have a couple more rooms in my basement that I am going to be finishing in the near future.

I guess I just want to learn how to do it...and I think it will add a nice finishing touch to my garage. Our garage is going to be more like an extension of our home. I have prepped it for a TV, surround sound system. The floors will be coated...and now I have purchased some custom screens for the garage doors...to allow air flow but keeps bugs out. So, as you can see, its not just for storing my truck...more of a man's room. I am hoping to install a disco ball and stripper pole grin........

Giddyup, if you get a chance, could you shoot me a e-mail. I have a couple more questions for you. My e-mail address is listed in my profile but I am not sure if that system is working or not...I cant seem to look at other people's profiles. So, my name is Clint Stephenson and my e-mail is kcstephenson at cableone.net.

Thanks to all for the info.

Cliffy

low pressure on the compressor, like in the 30-40 range. High capacity/recovery compressor.

Texture the consistency of pancake batter or slightly thicker for orange peel.

Start out light, you can always increase the settings later as you progress.