• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent Recipies For Black Bear

Totally scent free clothing..as much as possible.

For bait,

1 tire with rim

box of chocolate eclaires from Cub..The BIG ONES

pint of strawberries

1/2 gal molasis

bottle of chocolate syrup

1/2 soup can beacon greese

Mix it all except greese and put the tire over it.

put the greese on top of tire and spread it around the top.

don't leave..bears 'll be comin when the sun's coming up.

And don't let the local CO see ya leave that old tire in the woods or you'll end up with a nice fat ticket.

I could beat that claim like a step child.

There's nothing stateing I couldn't leave a bait station,

or a hunting stand, or a fish house. I believe that would fall under the public proprty claim, of finders keepers at best. As far as a CO giving a ticket yeah sure, they can do so upon any personal idea of illicit activity.

No problem.

The by gone era of Jeese Venture is surly passed by now. Geesh!

Any way support your local bear club, whack 'em and stack 'em baby.

----------------------

Senate and House versions of the bill from Rep. Larry Hosch, DFL-St. Joseph, and Sen. Michelle Fischbach, R-Paynesville, drew fire Monday from people who say using bait to attract an animal amounts to setting up an ambush. Others oppose the increasing use of technology in hunting.

Supporters say baiting is the only practical means of controlling the

state's black bear population. "We've sold this throughout the United States and in Canada," Mike Lucken told a House committee Monday. "It's still hunting. The bear may not come for the food," Lucken said.

Minnesota's black bear population is about 20,000, according to DNR estimates. About 95 percent of bear hunters use bait, but their success-rate average is below 35 percent, lower than deer hunters. The bill would allow reusable metal containers, as long as they restrict scavengers from taking the bait and are removed by the end of the bear season.

Both committees held the bills over for possible inclusion in game and fish bills, Hosch said.

To contact your legislator to support this bill visit MN Legislature

Visit Schumacher's blog at State Capitol Blog for regular updates from the state Capitol.

What do you use to attract bear to bait? Do you make your own or buy scent?

What I use for scent to attract bear to the main bait:

First baiting only - Hang about 3-5 gallons of fish guts in a gunny sack as high as you can reach. Guts will start smelling fast and bring bear to your bait site. Bear don't really like to eat fish guts but the smell will bring them in. Do this the first time only - key is to get bears on your bait before they find someone elses bait.

Every baiting thereafter (including right before first evening hunt) - 1 part anise oil to 3 parts liquid smoke. Spray this mixture out of a fine mist bottle on surrounding brush and foliage. This intense smell will bring em in. They will learn that when the smell is strong they will find fresh bait on the pile.

I get a gunny sack from a feed store an fill it with the cheapest dog food to buy, tie it of an soak it in a five gallon pail of grease or liquid smoke or BBQ sauce which you can usually find in bulk at S-club, Mollassas worlks well an you can get that at a grain elevator. I also like to get my grease from a local c-store an just coat the area, on logs an the ground an surrounding vegitation. My site from doing this is just one big smelly greas pit. The bear get this stuff on their paws an walk around the woods an other bear pick up the trail an follow it back to your site. I am currently working on a scent ball experiment an think I have it worked out, whorchester suace is,nt very smelly but the recipe for the ball works, just have to find a bacon scent that really smells like the one in the green bottle. Later boar