• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just how young did you start your child fishing?

Alan

I am asking because I now have a 6 month old, and obviously he is not going to be wetting a line for quite a while, when the time is right, I am going to start him early.

My step son who is 13, wants nothing to do with it. I have tried many, many times taking him out..if he does not catch anything in the first two or three casts, he gets frustrated and quits. He says he does not understand how someone can get up at the crack of dawn, sit in a boat or on shore for hours and only catch a few and maybe no fish at all. There is better things to do he says. He has caught some decent fish, but they have been far and few between, and he's not up for it.

Now with my 6 month old, I just can't wait to get him out when the time is right, so he can learn that it takes patience, and that on the days that the fish are biting, it's tons of fun...

So, what age did you start your child fishing? And do they still enjoy it?

Any ideas on how to convince my 13 year old to come fishing with me?

You can't push them into fishing its something thay have to want to do. As far as age goes their never to young its just how much patience you have to teach them. I have 3 girls 7,3,2 they all love to go out with me but they have more fun playing around then tring to learn how to fish but aleast they are having fun and thats what matters. You have to keep them busy. I like to take mine out pan fishing theres always good action to keep them interested. As far as a 13 year old there at that age where they do what they want I would not try to push him or her into fishing unless they what to go.

I started my daughters when they were 3 I think. My oldest doesnt like fishing, she's more a girly girl, so for now no fishing. My 10 year old loves it and doesnt care if we catch fish. I think she likes it cuz of the challenge. We try diffeent techniques and experiment.

Your youngest may be best served going with as soon it is safe to have him by water. He may not fish but is with you and learning patients as well as exploring the water and things around. As soon as he can hold a rod he will want to be like dad. Then you want to find some perch, bluegll, bass in the shallows that are easier to catch even if they are not keepers.

Same thing for the 13 year old. Get out now while the pannies are shallow and hungry.

Best times with my daughters are joking around, talking, letting them drive the boat, choose the bait. Also use some cool lures like buzz baits, bass jigs, floating raps. They'll think its cool to cast and watch the bait and wont get bored so fast. Let them experiment, that way if and when they do catch a fish it will be their ideas and skill that caught it, even if you directed them some.

just a thought, are video games part of the problem? i have one that says he wants to do this and that but cant pry his behind out from in front of those___________ games. you can fill in the blank. have another that deer and bear hunts but little else, he does fish, not much. i learned the hard way not to push them they only learn to dislike it more. good luck.

good points. my son is at the exploring/taking in as much as possible stage, so I want him to be able to be out there with me. I had him with me at the end to the dock last weekend, and he loved it. he was reaching for the water, looking all around, and smileing at everything. Sign of a future fisherman?

just a thought, are video games part of the problem?

Ha ha, you hit the nail right on the head...I hate them video games..but I only have so much push as a step Dad... I agree that we can't push them into it, they should want it..and he says when I ask him if he wants to go, yeah, sure I'll go...but them ..well you know the rest...

I think next summer I will start my youngest..maybe this late summer fall get him out in the boat with me...

Loved those life jcakets with the handle on top when my kids were young. Cant count how amny times I had a hold on that thing as they were exploring the side of the dock or boat.

on another note, dont be the guy out there ignoring their kid while they try to catch their limit and the kids limit. Saw some of that this weekend and it makes me sick to see kids bored to tears and whinning while dad keeps fishing and catching. Even my daughter noticed it. Worst case was seeing the kid with no life jacket on stand on the gunnel on the front of the boat while dad is fishing off back of boat ignoring kid. he didnt notice till my daughter said loudly "look that kid is about to fall in."

I have 3 kids - 6,2, and 6 months. My 6 year old is an avid fisherman, and I will be bringing ou my 2 year old starting this year as well. Age 2 was when I started my 6 year old and he has loved it ever since. The big thing for him (as for any kid) was making it fun. We started with casting practice/ contests in the living room with treats for the winner. I think it was an M&M every time he casted in the right direction, then moved on to targets. I then took him to a fishing pier a few times to make sure he like it. Once I knew he was enjoying it, we then tried the boat. He's been hooked ever since. As a matter of fact, he now asks me to read to him from Musky Hunter magazine for bedtime - I can't be any more proud as a father! My two year old may not have the patience, but we will see. That diversity is all part of the fun of parenting.

I just took my 2 1/2 year old daughter out in the boat for the first time on Friday. I don't even pull out a rod cause that's not why I'm there. She's more into leaning over and poking the water with the rod. She'll grow into it. If it turns out she doesn't like it, then so be it. At 13, they are either going to go or not.

Between 2 and 3 for all of mine. Some show more interest from the start than others, but I just tailor the outing to their level of interest.

My 2 daughters were 3 when they started fishing. The oldest is 10 now and she doesn't want to do anything else but fish. My youngest is 5 and well she likes to fish but only if they are biting. If its the middle of the summer and the fish aren't biting I just ancor out in the lake and let them swim. Then its back to fishing when they get warn out. My oldest has said to me many times that she wants to do it professionaly. I told her to stay with the desire and the want to fish and see what happens in life. I guess you can say I got lucky with them.

Duane

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, both boys, the oldest I took when he was 2, not much actual fishing just playing around with the rod, but he did manage a couple of bluegills though. He is totally hooked on it though, everytime I go, he wants to go with. I am sure the youngest one will be the same way, because I see him doing some of the same things that the oldest one did when he was that age. I actually took the oldest one out catfishing earlier this year, and he got to reel in a really nice 6 1/2 lb fish! I thought he was going to burst at the seams he was so excited! Here is a nice picture of the cat.

Hunter_25incher_4.JPG

I started fishing when I was probably 5-6 years ols with a pole. My granddaughter started when she was four. At 6 she now looks forward to going but we need to fish a specie with fast action. I don't believe any eye fishing quite yet.

My son is 3 and he got in the boat once last year, but didn't actually fish, just watched and enjoyed the ride. He is asking me to go fishing right now, how can I turn him down? Let's go!

Well, I say the best way to start them is make it fun and all about them. That was the premise in setting up the Baby FMer Get Together on the ice back in March. Tons of kids out fishing for the first time, some had some experience. We had 45 kids out there and all of them had fun, caught fish, and walked away with prizes. One of the most rewarding things I have ever done and it will be a go again next year.

My little boy is a fishing fanatic. If you want to get your kids into fishing early, a good book is "Curious George Goes Fishing." It is Hunter's favorite book and he wants me to read it to him 10 times a day. He says more fishing words than anything else, and has his own rods. He has two ice rods and a full sized ultra light. He is 21 months old but when we go to Wal-mart or Fleet Farm if he sees the rods sticking up in the sporting goods section, that is where he wants to go. I always let him pick out a bobber or whatever else he wants. Saturday mornings, he wants to watch fishin shows over cartoons (most of the time). He got his first crappie at 18 months with Dad and Grandpa, and this Saturday he is taking the first trip in the boat with Dad and Grandma. My little pride and joy. Soon enough, he will be smokin me on the water, and I can't wait.

To listen to him say Crappie, Wawweye, Bass, Mucky, Unny, Nodern, Persh, and Minnow just makes me smile like nothing else. He also loves to say bobber, hook, sinker, boat, anchor, traiwer, worm, weech, rod, and weel as well. He does this little growl thing sometimes when he says bobber sometimes and it is just the cutest thing. Oh, and back when all the work was going into setting up the baby fmer gtg, when Deitz would call, he would run around the house saying Deitz over and over.

Here is Hunter with the first fish, just a lil crappie, but I am having it mounted, making a plaque with all the catch info, and the photo for him so he can always have it to cherish.

2188013019_b08f2d3030.jpg

To say I got choked up over this one would be an understatement.

And here he is kissing a bluegill at the Baby FMer GTG right before it was released.

2290550609_3480d754ae.jpg

My daughters were 3 when started. They are getting frustrated with the notion that the 2 or 3 times we go out we have to throw back what we catch. As am I. Wasn't C&R for the future...well isn't the future now?

Take them fishin as soon as they can handle the weather and boat ride, let them fish when they are big enough to hang on to a rod. I dont even rememeber learning to fish, I was just brought up fishing as far as I remember. Bringing them when they are too young to fish will help them become used to being on the water and seeing fish. This may help them be more interested when they are old enough to fish. Dont ever make it stressfull for your kid, even if it is for you. It can be a pain and frustrating dealing with beginners but you need to have patience and dont show your frustration, that will turn them off quick.

Every kid is different and the parent should consider that when they decide to introduce their kids to fishing. My older son has a lot of patience and would sit it a boat all day and not raise of fuss if the fish weren't biting. I took him to Canada on his first trip with me when he was 8 and he had a blast. My younger son doesn't quite have the patience of the older one. He gets a little antsy if the fish aren't biting. With him, I would take him out on our lake for an hour to two and gradually increase the time spent in the boat. He is 10 this year and I think he's ready to make the trip to Canada with us this year....at least I HOPE he's ready because he will be out on the lake for at least 10-12 hours each day for the week, rain or shine.

I decided not to push my girl into fishing. Chose to leave her untill she showed interest. This will be her first season, age 4 years, 6 months. To say she is excited is an understatment. laughlaugh

We have been "practicing" in the yard all spring. I did selfishly convince her to give up her barbie rod for the rod I learned to fish with. Zebco 10/20 with a 5 foot fiberglass rod. It has sentimental value and casts better than a 20"er.

Did I mention she is excited!!!

(Dad is too... winkwink )