Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Lee

Watson Creek? Trout Run Creek?

12 posts in this topic

Watson Creek? Trout Run Creek?

Anyone fished those this year since trout opener? I am looking for some updates and details on the fishing on these two.

Trout Run Creek is always a great place to fish and is fishing well. I have no idea about Watson though. It's not the stream it used to be from what I'm told, but I haven't checked for myself.

I personally think Watson is a great little stream, very little traffic and I have had some decent size browns on some "special spots". I also like the fact all the trout in it are wild. I like Trout Run, but the three times I fished it, it got too crowded by some oldtimers who thought they owned the stream.

If anyone fishes Watson, please give me an update. Thanks!

Sounds like you have it all figured out then! smile

Good luck.

BTW, both streams are wild populations if that matters at all...

Really? I didn't know that Trout Run was wild? I was told by my buddy that took me there that is was all stocked... It is nice to know however.

There's a nice article on Trout Run in this months TU Magazine. According to that, wild trout and the TU group from that area did a ton of work on the river after the storms. If I can find it online, I'll post it.

Hey, that would be great if you did that? I loved fishing Trout Run and I was worried about the conditions after hearing about the floods. Speaking of Trout Run, does anyone know if there are any camping site on trout run at all or near by?

It's our chapter down here (Hiawatha), and we've done extensive work on Trout Run creek. I'm currently the president of the chapter and am proud of the work our crew has done over the last 25 years...I've only been around for a few of those years. I thought the article in Trout Magazine was pretty well done...it's nice to hear the kudos.

Upstream of Bucksnort hasn't been stocked in over 30 years, and the number of trout per mile is over 4,000 in many stretches. The trout reared at Lanesboro hatcheries that are dropped in trout lakes throughout the state are a strain of wild browns that were taken from Trout Run and Beaver Creek in the Whitewater.

The Lee, your friend might be thinking of the stream named Trout Run in the Whitewater State Park. I'm pretty sure that's stocked quite a bit but I'm not sure on that one.

Hey WxGuy, you guys doing any projects down there this year? I got a crew of people that have a week to volunteer doing a natural resource project, wondered if teaming up with TU is an option

Absolutely. Our H.I. coordinator hasn't set the work weekends in stone yet, but there will be a couple 3-day weekends between July and August that we'll start work. There's also a Twin Cities TU project that will be on Hay Creek sometime this summer too. These are great opportunities for crews to get volunteer hours in...

Dates will be on the Minnesota TU HSOforum sometime in the next couple weeks.

I was down to trout run creek on Monday. There was 6 cars in the parking lot when I got there but I still managed to walk up the creek for about an hour and caught 22 trout. This streamis alway a fun stream to go to if you want to catch good numbers of fish