• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It was a long time gone, but . . . (10 images)

Hey all:

Sorry I was off the boards so long, but when we left for the lake cabin last Wednesday we were told the high-speed Internet would be up and running for the season. Turned out it wasn't, so our only computer contact with the outside world was when we drove into Bemidji to Caribou Coffee to check our business e-mail and such.

Meanwhile, it WAS fishing opener, so I've interspersed nature photographs with fishing photographs. The guy with the walleye is Bryan "Beef" Sathre, an all-around great guy, Bemidji/Cass area fishing guide and HSO/FM staffer. We fished for half a day together opener weekend and had a great time. He's holding a 21-inch male walleye that fell to a jig and 5-inch shiner trolled VERY slowly in 17 FOW.

Oh, and by the way, the way, the weather STUNK most of the time! frown

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 400 f5.6L or Canon 17-40L.

We love crappies, and generally do better on our chain of lakes on walleye opener fishing crappies than 'eyes. Here's me with a 14-incher that fell to a white micro Power Tube under a slip bobber in VERY shallow water.

Steve-crappie.jpg

A common tern tests the wind currents

tern-in-flight.jpg

A spooky mallard drake dashes off to parts unknown

mallard-flies.jpg

A big splash from a small pike

landing-pike.jpg

Hah! I know he can't see me

loon-nesting.jpg

You've heard of water off a duck's back . . .

loon-poses.jpg

A couple of big mouths. gringringrin

beefeye-head-on.jpg

'Eyeing the sunset

beefeye-angled.jpg

One alert white-breasted nuthatch

intent-nuthatch.jpg

Last clearly is not least. Eagles have nested in a grove of mature white pines along the last substantial unoccupied shoreline on Lake Beltrami near Bemidji for decades. This might be this pair's last year on the nest. The land, which was owned for a long time by a woman in Chicago who refused to develop it, is now up for sale, and there'll likely be a McMansion on it by this time next year. Bye-bye eagles. We've had our family lake home on Beltrami for 25 years, and monitoring the eagles' nest and their activities has been as rewarding as visiting good warm friends. It will be hard to see these eagles go, but of course we can't stand in the way of progress, particularly when we contribute to it ourselves. frownfrown

eagle-pair.jpg

All great shots but the landing fish shot, peeking loon and the last shot of the eagles....wow! Great stuff Steve and good fishing to boot the way it looks!

Stunning images Steve. I wish mine from Opener weekend were half as good. I really love the shots of the pike splash, the peaking loon, and the open mouth eye with Beefer. Those are some awesome shots.

Thanks guys. When I put the boat in the water last week and headed down toward the eagles' nest and saw the realty sign stuck into the bank and facing the water it was all I could do not to coast in, pull the sign and burn it in the fireplace. More than a quarter mile of shoreline, with sandy shallow beaches, an uninhabitable river on one side and a price tag of $750,000. If I had the money, I'd buy it and leave it, just like the recently dead woman in Chicago. Clearly, her heirs are more interested in the money.

But different people have different dreams, and that stand of old white pines on the ridge overlooking the lake is without a doubt the most inspirational cabin site on the whole lake.

It's not like eagles in the lower 48 are in danger of extinction. What's in danger of extinction is our romanticized mental picture that brought us to the lake in the first place that quarter century ago. Eventually, all the lakes around Bemidji will look like Minnetonka, and then people like me will look to build 40 miles from Bemidji instead of 10, and the sprawl, like the Energizer Bunny, will keep going and going and going and going . . .

Sweet images Steve, the mallard is awesome, the eagles beautiful, and the first shot of Beef better become the front page to his webpage or his brochure!! And the shot of you and the slaber is true up north! Love it. Hopefully in two weeks, we can catch a couple shots together on B=side, ok, a couple shots and a few lakers!!!!!

Your work is amazing as usual!

Quote:
It will be hard to see these eagles go, but of course we can't stand in the way of progress, particularly when we contribute to it ourselves.

Good statement STFC!

I would not loose hope just yet. I know change is a tough thing to look forward to, but the new owners could work out ot be cool and like Eagles. smile

Nice thread and great images.

Welcome back dude!

Awesome shots!!

Loon image - fantastic. Nice change from the typical composition.

Eagles - great textures and color in this one.

Crappie - dangggggg! That's a nice slab.

Walleye - Super balance between ambient and fill flash!!! A very nicely saturated image.

As always.... I'm jealous.

Steve,

I think you need to move to Bemidji and fish with me all the time... You are a good friend and a heck of photo man... My favorite photo is the one you DID NOT take gringrin Lisa is pretty darn good with the camera too...

Just giving some humor back...

Thanks Again,

Beef

My favorite photo is the one you DID NOT take gringrin Lisa is pretty darn good with the camera too...

Dude, look at the model I had to work with and then look at the model Lisa had to work with. Any wonder her photos look better than mine? gringringrin

Humor right back atcha! gringrin

But it was a great time. We'll do it again for sure!