• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State record odds?

ricqik

With the spawn seemingly later this year. What does everyone think about the chances of catching, heck even seeing a potential record swimming about.

Me I personnally think it's a pretty good chance that if such a lake has one, it's likely to be seen by anglers. She would still be cruizing the shallows after the spawn as many big girls do that I've witnessed. She may be dry from spawning but big non the less.

I know people will doubt, but I have personally seen such a fish, and yes alive and swimming, at the time. This would make it fish number 3 I've seen. 1st one I found dead maybe 2days old and weighed in at 9 lb 2 oz, 2nd one is a definate 10+ lbs if landed and the 3rd one would still weigh in at 9+ lbs even after she spawn. The first two was from the same lake but different yrs. The 1st one brought me to that lake which resulted in seeing the 2nd one. But I have since dismiss that lake because it no longer supports such a fine fishery. I've dedicated 1.5wks off of work to pursue fish #3 on opening week. I'm getting closer. It's just a matter of time.

Just think, WI, a state that is on the same lattitude as MN weighs in at 11 lbs 3 oz. Mn has produced such a fish, it just wasn't certified.

Good luck guys.

Well with all the breakthroughs in fishing and more people doing it at such a serious level I could see the fairly new record falling again, but catching a fish of that calibur would have a lot of luck involved. Unless of course you've seen a fish that big and take 1 1/2 week off to catch it, lol! Hope you can get her!

A bigger lake would be a good guess but my personal best fish at 7.6 came out of a lake no deeper than 10 feet and only 90 acres big so i think it has alot to do with genetics, fishing pressure and obviously the lake but i think most good bass waters could all produce a record. As far as records go though you will sure need luck at some point or another!

Just like the current record, small lake, little pressure.

Partial winterkills produce abnormal fisheries, fish growing at higher than normal rates, and lack of competition for food is part of the reason some of these small lakes kick out trophy fish.

I think it'll fall in the falltime again. I'm guessing the weight put on in the fall is heavier body weight (muscle/fat), compared to what the spawn weighs in the spring on a fish of the same girth???

Actually, it wouldn't suprise me at all if the next state record largemouth was caught with a tip-up under the ice. shocked

ricqik, what type of lake do you think supports that size fish?

Lakes that I've seen state record proportion bass's in have alot of small sunfishes. That usually means alot of weeds too.

I caught my biggest largemouth fishing for muskie. Downed a 8 inch inhaler in-line spinner.

Considering how much the bass in my aquarium eats (he's just about to turn a year old, and I'd estimate he eats close to half his body weight in worms a day) no surprise that you catch bass on big lures. I caught a 5 lb class last year on a 7 inch Believer. I've caught 15 inch bass on 7-8 inch long suckers used for northerns.

Funny thing is you're disappointed when you find out it was just a bigger bass that hit your plug.