• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New musky fisherman

My 14 yr old son and I were out on a north metro lake on sunday casting for whatever would bite. After about an hour or so he hooks into something that made his 7' rod bend like a noodle. He had a red&white #5 mepps on I and figured it probably was a northern but it eventually slowly surfaced and to our suprise it was a musky. This is the first time for both of us to see a musky that close to our boat, were bass fisherman, so needless to say we were pretty excited. It looked like something between 35-40" and my son handled it pretty good but I was afraid with only 10lb test and the little lure in his mouth that we were going to lose it. It really didn't put up much of a fight while he was trying to get it closer but it just was not budging as my son was attempting to get it close enough to get in our net. I'm not sure if it would fit in the net anyway. After a couple of minutes it was getting closer and it really seemed kind of like it was really tired but it got about six feet from the net and flipped once and out came the lure. Disappointed was how I felt but my son was very excited just to have something that big so close to being in the net. He now has plans on buying everything it takes to become a musky fisherman, he has the fever. Even though I told him there a fish of a thousand casts he doesn't care he has the musky fever. Needless to say I saw that musky in my dreams that night and still get a little bummed that we didn't get it in the net, him holding that musky would of been a picture that I would of loved to have.

Sorry to tell you but it is the fish of ten-thousand casts and the feaver is very expensive. I just told my girlfriend to have a good summer. So get the check book out and start casting. You will get that picture one day.

Putter... Muskies may be nicknamed "Fish of 10,000 casts" but to be honest with you... its catching your first one that is the HARDEST of all... Once you get that monkey off your back, things just seems to be whole lot easier... Im sure several will testify to that... I know after I caught my first one... I've started to see more muskies afterwards... still havent "caught" my 2nd one but I've hooked, raised, and seen more muskies than I have ever experienced before my first one...

NDSU is correct... the fever is expensive... I know I've spent over $2000 since I've started "musky hunting"... Just have your son and yourself browse through past postings in this Muskie forum and absorb all the knowledge others who has experiences has submitted and go from there... It is possible to learn many things here and in turn that would help you save extra money for something more meaningful and useful...

Losing one at boatside can be very exciting... but nothing gets your adrenaline RUSHING when you finally get the muskie into the net... and it just gets more intense up until you finally release her tail as she swims away... I just love it!

My son is 10 years old... and he hasnt caught one yet... last summer and thru the winter he kept on talking about catching one this summer... I hope it'll happen but he'll need to master spincast reel first before I'll move him up to baitcasters...

Ha I broke up with my gf a couple months ago, even before fishing season really started rolling. We started dating in November, she was complaining about not seeing me enough. I was like man you havent really even known me during prime hunting or fishing season!

My GF and I are both flying to MN on May 31st. June 8th she goes back, June 1st I will head to Wisconsin and that's the last I will see of her until July 5th when I get back to Portland smile

She doesn't mind in the least...I rather think she prefers me out of state. Hmmm...

Rebel...thanks for the info, I did mention to my son about the 10,000 cast thing and how expensive it is, but he is a very determined kid when he gets he mind set on something. I told him it would cost an arm & a leg to get started and what I'm afraid of it will be my arm & leg. Like I said, primarily were bass fishing so he has a rather large box full of bass gear so I'm sure he won't give that up but he'll slowly get an arsenal of musky gear built up. Makes me feel good to see his excitment about fishing.

Mojo - tell me about it. My kid got us started when he was 10 also. Take a look at the 3 baitcasting outfits I have in the used musky gear for sale thread and let me know. I'll even throw in some bairs and leaders, so you have just about everything you need. Good starter setups or for a young (small) guy.

A picture is just a picture and you guys got the best out of her so don't be to disappointed because its the memory's that count, I just saw that Reeds has a special on a Rod reel combo for a good starter price I think it was 79.00, the most important thing is a good net, pliers and mini bolt cutter, get some Mepps spinners, a few good leaders, some 80# line and go have fun.

There's going to be plenty more fish in your lives but the mystique and importance of that one that got away will make her much more important, just remember that she's someone else's memories also.

Good luck

John

i am just starting out as well and i am already addicted to buying musky lures i have put about 400$ in lures since febuary!!! i am goin broke and it's not even opener yet!!! HAHA

Quote:
i am just starting out as well and i am already addicted to buying musky lures i have put about 400$ in lures since febuary!!! i am goin broke and it's not even opener yet!!! HAHA

now just to think how some muskie fishermen spend $3000 in the off season. crazy!

Quote:

now just to think how some muskie fishermen spend $3000 in the off season. crazy!

At that point I'd consider buying a private pond to stock with ski's.

LOL Quack... yepper Im one of them... already spent over $1500 on just muskie stuff... and the year's not halfway done... Cant remember how much I've spent last year but more than $700 for sure...

Evinrude... It'll get worse before it gets better... sooner or later you'll go through a "MUST-HAVE" mode... then when you achieve it... it'll slow down... and several new lures will come out... 1/4 of them will catch your eyes... 3/4 wont... Im going through the "MUST-HAVE" mode right now... hence the reason for me being so spendy...

On other hand... my order from MTO arrived today $190 worth of lures... 15 Mag SuperD and 1 Weagle (Cash)... 2 down, 8 left to go!!!

You will find that you will catch 100% of your fish on 2% of the 10% of the baits you throw. In other words, slow down the buying!! Don't fall for all of the words of wisdom out there and start slow. Get a bucktail, a crankbait and a topper.

Todd W.