• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

photo of shiner. what type??

PFUNK

It could be. I have no idea. I thought maybe common shiner but they have fins that are more red than this one so I am confused. There are some in my bait tank that are even bigger than this one. 6-7 inchers.

It is a Common Shiner. I have caught quie a few of them seining for smelt on the grindstone river. I asked the DNR out there what type of minnow it was and he said it was a common shiner. We were catching hundreds of them, but i don't know why you never see them in any bait shops? Maybe they only run a couple weeks out of the year and are hard to catch after that. But that is a big one, and i heard of some as long as 10 inches.

looks like a common shiner to me. I would guess the reddish fins are a breeding thing. Or, it could be a Nocomis biggutatus, the hornyhead chub. Don't think you'd confuse that with a shiner though.

However, if you get down into the SW corner of the state (MO river drainage) the red-finned ones are C. lutrensis, the red shiner. They are actually quite invasive if introduced out of their native areas, so be careful if you are seining bait down there.

So tyler, would these work fine if frozen and used as cut bait later in the year. If what Jovan said is true, and they only run for a short period of time, I'd sure like to get a bunch vaccuum sealed and frozen because they sure look like they'd make great bait for cats and even for a tip up rig for pike during the winter.

So tyler, would these work fine if frozen and used as cut bait later in the year. If what Jovan said is true, and they only run for a short period of time, I'd sure like to get a bunch vaccuum sealed and frozen because they sure look like they'd make great bait for cats and even for a tip up rig for pike during the winter.

They should work for you frozen and thawed at a later date. I caught many of my cats through the ice on common shiner. They are best fresh as they are very oily and super scented and the freeze/thaw factor removes some of that, but they will still work. Red meated critter too. Even caught a musky and a few pike on them through the ice.

Ya that's kind of what popped into my mind right away, a good bait to try on a tip-up. I'll have to try it for cats through the ice, but seeing as to how well I did with fathead minnow heads last winter I don't know if I'll even need to try the shiner. Thanks for the tip.