• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lotz of birds

glenn57

got home from work last nite and couldnt believe all the birds at the feeders. havent seen that many, and that many different different kinds all at the same time. hope they stick around but that might mean a second job to feed them. lets see, sunflowers, thistle, safflower, grape jelly, hummer and oriole juice, wow. had hummers, orioles, yellow and purple finches, red breasted grosbecks not to mention the robins doves tree swallows and sparrows. it was great.

Well when Diesl fuel for the Tractor's and Combines that plant and harvest Sunflowers is costing more than $4.00 a gallon and in short supply, the cost of production goes up, hence the cost of product goes up usually because the Ag community in planting less flowers and more small grains for better pay off in the end.

Not trying to start a huge argument or discussion on Ag prices, just an obersavtion from someones income who is drastically affected by the farm economy. I don't like $4.00 milk either but I won't stop drinking it.

When I started feeding birds in Grand Forks in 1973, I could get 50 lbs of black oil sunflower from one of the local elevators for $5.

Times and prices change, alright. But I'll keep on feeding, too. It's gotten to be a habit, and I really wouldn't like it too well if I couldn't look out my windows and see birds at the feeder.

how have you been stfcatfish? it's been a long time. i would have guess your nickname as " the great pumpkin" smile i never did find your money in the river and i looked for a couple weeks.

i'm new to bird watching and this site has been a great help.

Hmmmm, knowing my REAL nickname means you are one of only two people on earth. Considering you were the only one of my two companions who lived right near that river and could have spent two weeks looking for that lost money, I reckon I know who you are.

It HAS been a very long time, hasn't it? gringringrin

The crappie in my avatar reminds me of the day we three were on the river below the dam in early spring fishing crappies with small jigs and something that seemed a LOT like a really big walleye scooped my jig and swam downstream and spooled me before breaking off.

And it's great to see you here on HSO/FM and the birding board, R OTTER (or should I say Greg?) Welcome! gringrin

Well done my friend.

Yes I do remeber that day, it was a good time.

On a side note, in the post above you talked about black oil sunflower seeds. we get raw hulled chips and pieces #2 from a sunflower seed plant in Karlstead, MN for $10 for 50.lbs.

really good stuff, all meat.

let known when your back this way and i'll get you a few bags to try.

Good to talk with you agian.