• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Heads for Swimbaits

I was wondering what kid of jig heads you use for plastic swimbaits. Specifically the Gulp swim shads. Also how do you rig it for optimum action? I love the idea of using soft plastics for walleyes but I have no experience rigging them correctly.

I've been using Owner Ultra-Head Jigs in the 1/2 ounce size for the Gulp Shad (pogy bait) and Ultra-Head in the 3/4 ounce size for the Cotee Cracker Shad. I know those jig heads sound to heavy, but they are not. A pogy style bait has a tendency to rise up in the water column and you can actually retrieve them to fast. Then they move out of the targeted strike zone. I routinely fish the 3/4 ounce head with a Cotee Cracker Shad body in 3 or 4 feet of water without a problem.

Doug Stange from In-fisherman has run many shows and articles on "swim shad" fishing for walleye's. As Wayne stated 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight. I don't know specific brand names but his (and ones I use) are simple lead grey (no paint) bullet shaped. Obviously a little longer shaft to get the point of the hook back more in the middle of the body. I've seen Doug hook them straight down and up the top of the body and down and out the side of the body.

Thanks I have seen the same program but I can't seem to find the jigs at any of the stores. I have tried Fleet Farm, Scheels, and Cabela's but they have to have it I would think. Thanks again for the help. 1/2 and 3/4 oz bullet shaped. Good to know.

The ones Doug uses are Owner Ultra Heads. I believe Cabelas has them in their saltwater catalog. I've also had success using the Lindy "Old Bayside" Mullet Heads.

I had the hardest time finding the jig heads you are looking for. I did manage to find some online. If you want the HSOforum let me know. I also stocked up on these and could probably get rid of a couple packs if you are interested.

I use some of the bass style jig heads, Yammamoto, owner to name a few. They come in a wide range of sizes. This past weekend I was fishing 4" shad bodies in fairly heavy current with a 1/4 oz head. It is interesting that the walleyes were nipping at the cranks but they were totaly inhaling the plastics.

Tunrevir~