• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another neighbor and another bird.

Another neighbor, Bob, has given me permission to take photos in his yard. I had a call the other day from a guy I used to work with a few years ago, on a part time basis. He had seen a few notecards that another ex co-worker had bought of mine, at the local art center. Bob had just bought a Nikon with 18-200mm lens. Bob had never used a digital camera before and knows absolutely nothing about the camera or photography. He's got a trip to Alaska planned in a month and wanted some help with his camera and had me install a software program and show him a few tips. Bob asked how much money I wanted. I told him, I'd be happy to just be able to use his backyard. He lives across the river and about 50 yards downstream from where I had my blind set up in another person's backyard. The location is about 4 blocks from my house. He gets more birds and a different variety, due to the kind of seed he puts out. While at his house, I saw about 8 grosbeaks, a couple orioles, 3 bluejays and a brown thrush amidst the downy woodpeckers. Bob has a storage building in his backyard and the the door faces his feeders. How ideal. He left it onlocked and I can sit inside with the camera set up by the open door. I'm out of the wind and the birds don't see me. He even had a stool in there for me to use and electricity, if I need it. This is much better than a 20 spot. grin

Anyway, here is one of my pics from this morning. I'll be going back later today to try and capture the thrush. These birds are even more skittish than the jays.

2491813305_ebac8887b8_o.jpg

Sweet light on that jay, Mike. Even though it's from the side, the light is not too hot, and there's a lot of rich detail and color in the lightly shadowed areas.

Best of luck on the thrush (or, since you said it's a brown thrush, it may really be a brown thrasher).