• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sheephead

Chef Prudhommes Redfish Magic Seasoning. Follow the directions for balckening. They are kissing cousins to salt water Redfish which is highly sought after table fare.

I've made it several times and it usually goes as fast if not faster than the deep fried battered crappie and walleye. Make sure to fillet out the dark lateral line and belly meat. I keep the back and tail portion.

Good Luck!

Ken

They are VERY edible. In fact it was one of the American Indians favorites. Archeologist's routinely look for Sheephead bones when the discover the remains of an Indian encampment in order to determine the population Native American population that might have lived there.

I have never tried Sheephead, however I remember reading in an old Archeological magazine how the Native American's would gut the fish and scale them. They wrap them in wet leaves and bury the leaves in the coals of their fires. The fish would steam in the wet leaves and the people would then eat the steamed fish.

I suspect someone with the right spices and things could modify their recipe into a very tasty dish. Next time I catch one I will try it. We talked about this in the St. Croix forum not long ago.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Interesting, I always just thought of them about equally as a carp.

Yep, that's what they used to think of salt water drum, until a famous chef in New Oleans started making it - then they almost destroyed the fishery!

Originally Posted By: FlowageTamer
Interesting, I always just thought of them about equally as a carp.

Yep, that's what they used to think of salt water drum, until a famous chef in New Oleans started making it - then they almost destroyed the fishery!

Chef Prudhomme I do believe, and as stated sheepshead (fresh water drum) and Redfish (salt water drum) are kissing cousins...

Try it! You'll like it!

Good Luck!

Ken

I am glad you mentioned Carp!!!!! Just for the record everyone, CARP are the number 1 game fish in the whole flaming world! (Let me say that again for those of you who are chocking on ther beer right now. CARP ARE THE NUMBER 1 GAME FISH IN THE WHOLE FLAMING WORLD!!!!)

Properly prepared they are as delicious as Cod fish. In fact, you will find Carp on the menus of some of the world finest restaurants, especially in Europe and Asia.