• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp alive leeches?

caribou01

Have any of you used the Gulp Alive leeches? I talked to one guy who swears by the gulp alive baits. He fished with the minnows exclusively on the Detroit River early this spring and said they worked better than live minnows and would last most of the day without getting torn off. With the price of leeches I was thinking of giving them a try.

From seeing them in the water, the GULP! 5 inch floating leeches will see a lot of time on the hooks for me. Man, very lifelike. The regular 5" leech didnt look bad either, but the floating leech looked a lot more lifelike and supple.

I used the 3" leeches last Sunday on Mille Lacs & they seem to work fine. I caught a 21" throwback, darn, and the leeches held up well even in the tough conditions that day. After I saw the mixed (small) leeches our boat had, I figured it was bigger than most of the available live bait in the boat. I will have to give them another test or two though to be completely sold on them.

I was out today and using a minnow picked up one 16inch walleye then tried the 5in. fltg leech on a harness and caught a hammer handle pike and a 19 1/2 in. walleye within a hundred yards. Maybe dumb luck maybe not. But had a bunch more hits and leech stood up very well. Well enough to use again. Not convinced it will outfish live bait yet but it does work. Good option without worrying about keeping bait alive.

I have been a live bait guy all my life, I finally broke down and bought some gulp minnow chubs.(looks like a minnow with a twister tail on it). After 3 hours catchin nothing on every minnow available I put on a chartrusse gulp and landed a 19,22 inch eye and a 34" pike in 1 500 yard run.I outfished the other 2 guys in the boat 3 to 1........I am sold on this stuff now