• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie rod reel combo

dairyman

stil haven't gotten over ice fishin yet---but must press on---looking for a good rod/reel combo for crappies anybody got any preferances?????????? Oh yeah I'm rather conservative when it comes to spending money too. Probably limited my choices there with that statement. any how --anybody

7' Medium Light Gander Mt. Rod

Pfleuger Trion Reel

Great rod for casting distance, ability to flip into weed/rush pockets and for hook setting with the the longer rod is great. You should be able to get it done for $50.

I think a 7' or 7'-6" med light fast action rod would serve you well. Match that up with a Tica Cetus and you are set. Then you can use the Cetus in the winter, just pick up a new rod from Thorne in the fall for ice fishing and you are set year round. I know you say you are going to be staying on the mid-low end, so search a while and make sure the choice is right for you.

I have been looking for a new spinning rod that will serve multi purpose fishing crappies and eyes. My current rig is a 4'-6" ultra light St. Croix Premier. I love the action of the rod, but casting distance and ability to fight the fish is not much of an option. That doesn't mean I don't catch the snot out of them, just not as effective as a rod such as the one I mentioned before.

The reasons for a longer rod are pretty numerous, the top reasons being casting distance and ability to maneuver the fish around cover. But don't get one that is too stiff cause you will be rippin lips off.

The Shimano Compre line of rods is a great bang-for-buck rod. At roughly $80 you're getting an over-the-counter lifetime warranty rod, as well as a very light-weight and sensitive whoppin' stick. I've been a huge fan of the Compre spinning rods for pannies. The 6'6" light is a very versatile rod, I also like the 7'-8' medium light actions...

Match the above rod with a 1500 series Shimano and you have yourself a rockin' set-up! I like the 1500 because you get better casting distance with the smaller jigs. Line comes off the spool more freely and allows for a tighter spiral too...

If you go with a Shimano Compre and a 1500 Shimano Sedona, you can get away with a very nice combo for around $120...