• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening Lure

mattrd

So, what is the first lure everyone will be throwing opening morning? I don't get to fish opening morning due to a baseball tournament, but come sunday watch out,,lol I'm thinking of starting out throwing a plastic bait of some sort but not quite sure yet.

I will have several rods rigged as well. More than likely it will be a slug-go or a fin-s-fish. But I will be rigged with a swim jig-n-grub, shallow crank, and swim bait as well.

Something in that mix will be my first cast. It depends on the others in the boat or if I am fishing an area that has been fished befor. I do not fish with spinner baits or cranks if it looks like the area has been fished before. And since everyone in the world fishes spinner baits and senkos, I tend not not to.

I will have 4 or 5 rods rigged up. Swim jig with a zoom super chunk, wacky 5" Dinger in watermelon candy, 3/8 oz spinnerbait, shallow fat wobble crank, probably silver and black, and the ultra light will be rigged with a split shot rig and a wacky 2" senko.

cranks (DTs or X-raps, depending where I am), senko-style plastic, or possibly my old standby of a 7" original formula power worm.

And maybe a spinnerbait or two

I guess my choices will come from among those already mentioned and it will depend upon the water and bass species I am chasing. Still not sure if I will be on a lake or river.

Only options I may add is lipless crank but I might have missed someone else mentioning it. Could be a weightless Lake Fork Magic Shad too.

Wow - no one has said a tube or floating frog. Prolly toss a tube off the bat then mix it up from there. I also took a couple of days off from work to have a 5 day weekend. Woo!

Is no one going to throw a hard jerk-bait-bait?

I probably will. Likely be chasing brown fish, at least in the morning, so a Wild Shiner or Pointer will probably be in the mix pretty early on...especially since the water's still probably going to be on the cold side.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I throw a lot of spinnerbaits, so i'll definently try those, but i'm trying to expand my arsenal so i'm gonna try a lot of new techniques this year. I like to throw a lot of the plastic frog style baits(zoom toad, yum buzzfrog, skrikeking rage frog) so I might give those a shot that day. I've got most of the new lures I want picked out at work, so i'm planning on buying them on saturday. Now I just have to figure out what I'm gonna all have rigged up and ready to go.

It really is going to depend on what the water temperature is at that time.I am leaning towards a Sluggo, or possibly an Ogur worm,an 11 or 13 floating Rapala on a spinning rod, and probably a spinnerbait,maybe a large bladed single spin.Plastics will be on hand, as well as jig combos-jig and pig,or jig and craw.

I would be throwing a spinner bait, soft plastic jerkbait over the weeds, or a white tube if the fish were still in the beds. At least those are the things that come to mind first for early season.

early season i would stick with tube. Ive been using watermelon green and pumpkin green tubes on pool 6 this past week with good results. I use spinners by weeds later on in the season along with scum frogs in the lilly pads. just my $0.02