• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this a fair trade-in value?

SWMuskeye

Question

2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2 w/ 4x4 & 4.3L Engine

"Fair Condition"- minor flaws- small scratches, etc.

-Third door doesn't open

-ABS light is on

-one tailgate strap broken

-rear tailight out

-99,000 miles

-cracked front plastic (part under bumper)

-Engine runs great, no probs at all- trading it in for a new Silverado

Trade-in value $2,500.

Thoughts?

15 answers to this question

Heard that!

I thought about just keeping it around to beat around and as a "snow buggy" to haul my ice house around on the ice and for bird hunting, etc.

That way I could keep my new truck clean as I try and "hunt" for wife #2.

I might tend to get rid of it. I have a friend who has had major issues with the electronics on that exact car. If they would just put quality components in these there wouldn't be any problems its just they seem to come in bunches. One light turns to 3 then you pay to fix and then more come on.

Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't let it go for that! It might not be a perfect truck, but sold outright should be worth twice that. If it were me, I'd check other dealerships or keep the truck and sell it yourself.

I was in the same situation with a boat earlier this year. The dealers really low balled me, so I kept it and sold it myself and made an extra $1,500 because of it. I don't know about you, but $1,500 is a pretty good chunk of money to me?

Do what you want, but I would be insulted with that offer...I can understand not getting as much from a dealer as you could selling it yourself, they have to make some money off the deal to make it worth it, but they would make an awful lot of money off that deal...it would make me want to take my business elsewhere.

Separate the cost of the new truck and the used one. Tell them you want the new truck for $500 under invoice plus all the rebates and incentives available. Bring Kelly Blue book data to the dealership with you. Tell them exactly what you want for a trade-in. If they don't give it to you walk away from the deal. Chances are good they will try to stop you before you leave by saying they can meet your demands.

If you walk away its not a big deal. There are a ton of Chevy dealers. One of them will sell you a truck for what you want to pay.

There's a fine balance. If you spend a bunch of time and $$$ fixing it up and a bunch of time and effort trying to sell it, you might be ahead to trade it in. I struggled with this about a month ago. Finally decided I would rather just trade it in and be done with the whole deal.

Only you can decide what your time is worth.

The dealer is not dumb. They know that they can easily get stuck repairing a lot of common problems on these vehicles. At 99,000 you are due for a lot of maintenance if it has not already been done. Ball joints, intake gaskets, fuel pumps are really common issues with these vehicles/motors. Not to mention the possibility of the ABS being a substantial cost to repair, same with the door not working. Considering there could be a potential for a couple of thousand dollars in repairs I would say there not far off.

I had a 96 Blazer that had ABS problems. My brother in law sells cars at a dealership in the cities. He quoted me over $2400 to fix the problem. I dont know if chevy fixed the ABS problems they had in 96 by 00. with all the other small minor problems I would say there about right at $2500. Of couse if you sell it by yourself your going to get more for it. You also have to look that the dealership probably wont fix your truck they will just send it to the auction. Also how many people at this time are dumping there trucks to by smaller cars because of the gas prices.

Mark

There was just a Chev ad on TV where they said they were giving $4k off on a new truck for anyone who owned a Chev. If you can get that 4 plus your 2.5 trade in then maybe you're in the pink.

I work at a dealership, and have been in the auto business for 6 years, its fun to see this kind of thread to see what customers are thinking. anyway, If you have any questions sw musky let me know, I could maybe help youout with them. [email protected]

are you looking to trade at Rosedalechev?

Also, yes you can get 4k rebates on new silverados if you own a gm product 1999 or newer. Also you can buy a new truck for about 2500 dollars under msrp now so totaling $6500 off msrp minus trade. So email me irf you haev ?'s

Thanks for everyone's help. There's just too much wrong with my truck for me to monkey around with running it around and fixing it. I personally think it'd be like rolling the dice since I can't put a definitive price on exactly how much it'd cost to fix. Also, I don't want to be held liable should anything happen during a test-drive, etc.

I do agree with many of the points that I may be getting the short end of the stick- but since I have bald tires- a tailight out, etc I will cut my losses and trade it in.

I'm getting a 2008 all-star package Silverado crew. I am taking advantage of the extra loyalty cash and paying $200 under invoice to start which seems fair to me.