• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leader or no leader???

BLACKJACK

For myself it really depends upon what I'm targeting. Usually if I'm throwing Rapalas and I'm in pursuit of bass or walleye, I tie it directly to the line without a leader. When I use Daredevils, I'm targeting pike-so I will use a leader.

Same with trolling-always a leader if I'm looking for pike or in a body of water that has a healthy pike population-otherwise If I'm trolling for Rapalas for walleyes-no leader.

I prefer to fish without a leader if possible, but at 6-7 bucks a pop those X-Raps get tough to lose.

ive even leadered off when jigging for eyes when i know the lake has an overly aggresive population of nords. when you have to keep retieing jigs cause they bite ya off gets old and doesnt seem to bother the eyes much. i alwats use leaders when trolling or casting with raps or daredevils. i dont live losing tackle, my wife buys wat to many anyway. hey i gotta blame someone for all the tackle i have.

For myself it really depends upon what I'm targeting. Usually if I'm throwing Rapalas and I'm in pursuit of bass or walleye, I tie it directly to the line without a leader. When I use Daredevils, I'm targeting pike-so I will use a leader.

Same with trolling-always a leader if I'm looking for pike or in a body of water that has a healthy pike population-otherwise If I'm trolling for Rapalas for walleyes-no leader.

I prefer to fish without a leader if possible, but at 6-7 bucks a pop those X-Raps get tough to lose.

agreed. It all depends on what I'm targeting. If I'm targeting pike, or know that there's pike in the same area, I will put a leader on. I've a few x-raps due to pike bite offs.

Getting bit off is part of fishing. That being said I will leader up if I am targeting pike.

But if your targeting Bass, and pike will usually go after bass lures, will ya still use a leader? Will bass bite if your using a leader with say a spinner or rapla or something similar? It seems when I am jigging for Bass, a pike almost always comes by and takes my jig...

More and more I've been going no leader. With the advent of better braids it just seems getting bit off is becoming rare (I can't remember the last time it's happened). I fish very stained water so 12 and 20lb braid works great. After a catch you'll want to trim off a foot or two though. I use floro with the muskie baits though.

Getting bit off is part of fishing. That being said I will leader up if I am targeting pike.

My friends and I had this debate a few years back... I keep a journal of my fishing outtings... So I tracked Leader vs no leader...

Fishing with No leader, increased hook up percentages by 45%...

Lures went "Out of tune" twice as fast on Leaders

Bite offs were reduced to 2 out of 71, by using a super braid (Fireline alone was even better)

*One key though was to make sure Rod Selection was appropriate... When using Fireline, with the zero stretch, I need a rod that's got a flexible forgiving tip (So as to not rip a lip) but has a strong back bone...

Since doing a little rod switching I'm currently looking at a streak, running since last year of 137 "Toothy" fish caught without a bite off... Running 14 pound fireline on my Trolling rod.

good idea Dances. I do the same thing. I keep a log of my fishing trips, as well as hunting trips. It helps with getting to be a better hunter/fisherman and you can learn from your mistakes. PLus it helps with what works and what doesn't work.

Since doing a little rod switching I'm currently looking at a streak, running since last year of 137 "Toothy" fish caught without a bite off... Running 14 pound fireline on my Trolling rod.

There goes that streak grin

Usually I like using a heavier lead line to reduce bite offs. If I wanted to prevent bite offs, then I use wire leaders. I line the thin ones. They kink more, but I'd figure 10# line, matched to 10# wire is good.

I've also got some 15# tyger line that's thin and practically able to tie knots with it.

I usually have a leader on just because i rarely fish for long time. Most of my fishing happens after work and i only get a couple hours so if something isn't working i like to have the leader there to save time on switching lures and to prevent bite offs.