• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok-I give up, Whats my fuel/oil ratio?

Newcastle

Between the ice auger, boat, weed whipper, edger-I've forgotten what gets what- I need to know the fuel to oil ratio for a 20 year old Mercury 20HP outboard. Thought it was 50:1, but cheaper to ask now than ruin the motor.

Thanks-

I have an early 80's evinrude that runs awesome always has, but it does smoke quite a bit. I mix it 50-1, I wonder if the amsoil sabre outboard would do me any good and if I would hurt anything mixing it any leaner with the amsoil.

You can safely use the AMSOIL Saber Outboard at the lean 100-1 mix ratio in a stock pre-mix outboard and AMSOIL gives you the lubricant guarantee at the 100-1. But if you choose to run it richer, just being unconfortable that lean, start richer. Even at 50-1 it should be nearly smokeless. Then adjust to leaner in steps as you feel confortable with it.

Or, if you want to stick strictly to the 50-1 ratio, use the HP Injector as a premix at 50-1.

AMSOIL's di-esther based synthetic two-cycle oils burn away clean leaving no carbon, ash or other residue behind.

Not sure about Merc but my '88 Johnson 25 had a sticker on it that said 100:1. It also had an 'Accumix' tank built in the main tank. The mechanic told me to rip the 100:1 sticker off and run 50:1. I tried the 100:1 ratio with synthetic pre-mix and didn't notice a difference. Don't feel it's worth the risk. If you've ever taken apart a 2 stroke engine, you know how tender the bearings are. The extra ounce of oil doesn't hurt anything.

My weedeater, chainsaw, and auger, all run on 32:1.

HUGE TIP: Look for the non-oxygenated fuel!!!!

My two cents.

TC