• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Magnum Topwalker questions

Scoot

I got my latest order from Thorne Bros on Fri. I ordered a Mag Topwalker with a maribou tail. However, I got one with the "regular" bucktail. I called them to ask about it and they told me that the magnums were never made with the maribou tails. So... I have some questions:

1) Is that true?

2) Are the tails much longer on the mags vs. the regular size Topwalkers?

3) Can I simply put a maribou tail from a standard sized Topwalker on the magnum lure I got (I don't see why not)?

4) Are there any other lures out there that would work better for stealing the maribou and trebles off of to pair up with the magnum sized one I have?

Yes, that is true. Mags have only been made in hair to this point.

I dont think the tail is much longer at all. The additional size is mostly in the head.

You bet, swap out the marabou from a regular to the Magnum.

Any bait with a decent sized tail will work just fine (Mepps Marabou, etc.). The majority of the trigger in this bait is in the prop on the head.

Hiya Scoot -

Here's what I think you need to do...

1.) Buy a Shumway flasher, cut the blades off, bend the wire into an eye, and use that tail for the TopWalker.

2.) Buy a Mepps Giant Killer, take the tail from the TopWalker, and put it on the Mepps.

3.) Buy two single-spin Rad Dogs, take the blades from the Flasher, and put them on the Dogs.

4.) Buy two Blue Fox Vibrax bucktails. Cut them apart. Replace the blades with the blades from the Rad Dogs.

5.)Buy a 10" Jake. Take the hooks off the Jake, and replace the hooks on the Topwalker with the ones from the Jake. Take the hooks from the Mepps tail, and put it on the Jake. Leave off the back hook.

That should get you all set. Only run you $100 or so.

smile

Thanks Mojo.

RK, no dang thanks at all to you!!! It's suggestions like that that'll lead me down the path of another "talk" with my wife about me buying too much "useless [PoorWordUsage]". I never seem to talk much during those "talks".

Aaron and RK,

I finally get it! You two are in cahoots! 1) Dummies like me ask for suggestions on tweaking lures, 2) RK makes suggestions that will lead dummies like me to order more lures from you, 3)You give RK a cut of the take! Very sneaky, but brilliant!!!

Just kiddin' fellas. I actually think I could pull it off without purchasing a single lure!

Dang... Scoot really blew open a huge consipracy here... Wonder if this is big enough for Larry Ramsell to include in his history book??? grin

On other hand... I was thinking the same thing (not entirely, just the first one) RK was thinking about buying a Supergirl and cannibalize it to use parts on the Topwalker... In fact, I did think of ordering some more Cowgirls and Magnum Topwalkers then use both to switch parts with each other... Maybe I'll get around to this when I have wayyyyyyyy too many lures that I dont even use...

Scoot,

I have 2 baits that I want to combine.... A 12" Suick and a Musky Mayhem Supermodel. I think that I am on to something here but I need a little help, any ideas? wink

By the way, you comming out to Walker this Summer??? Or maybe we can meet in the middle?

You guys are taking my whole 2008 mentality and approach of "simplification" right down the tubes! Reading all this gave me a headache. Amelda Marcos didn't accessorize this much....... grin

I'm sticking to my guns; topwater situation equals Weagle or Pacemaker. Keepin' it simple, WTD or straight-line. We'll see how well my actions back my words....

Scoot,

I have 2 baits that I want to combine.... A 12" Suick and a Musky Mayhem Supermodel. I think that I am on to something here but I need a little help, any ideas? wink

By the way, you comming out to Walker this Summer??? Or maybe we can meet in the middle?

John, here's my suggestion for combining the baits (keep in mind, I'm not too good at this- that's why I asked for suggestions in the first place): 1) take the hooks off the Supermodel and put them on the Suick, 2) put the hooks from the Suick in the garbage, 3) duct tape a 1" nut to the bottom of the Suick, just behind the second hook hanger, 4) fill the 1" nut with Epson salt, 5) add superglue to hold in the salt, and 6) give your wife the remainder of the Supermodel to be used as jewelry!

Hmmmm... maybe I'm not as good at this as RK is?!?

I hope to make it out to Walker this Summer. Who freekin' knows! I've got a lot planned already, but I sure want to. I haven't fished out your way for two years and I really am feelin' the itch to get out there. I'll see if I can swing it and I'll give you a heads up if I can make it happen.

tails are the same. the body is 1/2 inch longer and about 1/2 inch wider for more profile and the prop is larger, about tallywacker size. these baits are made with a splitring holding the forward hook and the wire holding the tail wire and rear hook on. it's easily changed from one color to another. could just have 50 different tails and change them out while fishing laugh . i'd use wolverines though, alot easier to change up. somebody said mepps tail, good choice, their made right. by the way... at thorne bros, in the component area, way in back. they have pretied marabou springs, 2 to a pack for i think 6 or 7 bucks,. just add the wire that's on the floor 3 or 4 steps to the left. and check out those Weagles behind you after you grab some wire. grin good luck