• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oxy/acetylene torch

Crappie Killer

Question

So with the price of scrap iron where it is, I thought now would be a good time to chop away at the scrap iron pile. Can anyone give me the low down on a good torch to buy,and where to buy/refill the tanks? Prices too, if you know any offhand?

7 answers to this question

Oxy acetylene can be expensive to set up but steel is only going up so it would probably be a worthy investment if you have access to old scrap iron. You should have a cart or way to store/transport tanks. You can buy the valves/hoses/regulators at grainger/northern hydraulics/fleet farm or some other place that sells mfg or farming equipment. We use Victor torches availible through the local NAPA dealer. Tanks can leased and filled from a local welding supply,like bemidji welding. You might also need strikers,goggles,and gloves.

I haven't tried one first hand but heard propane torches are cheaper and easier to refill/operate(only one bottle)-if your only cutting might be worth looking into. Someone else w/ more experience w/ them might be able to give more pros/cons. Ballpark figure 300-400$ but you can probably get something cheaper and lesser quality through harbor frieght.

redhooks

What do you need to cut?

I was at one of the St. Cloud places with my cans and there was a lineup of trucks (half should have stayed for recycling according to the local cops who were busting for equipment violations) that had large pieces. One trailer had half a farm worth of recognizable pieces.

If you're stuck on getting a cutter, look into a plasma outfit, too.

Tried the propane setups, never was too impressed.

Plasma takes compressed air or special gas, and electricity.

I'd take acetylene torch... of course, they don't really work on stanless steel though, if you have a lot of that to cut up. It's plasma for stainless...

Victor acc. torchs are a real good brand, I would check with welding supply bussiness to see if they have a good used acc. torch. Some of the older one were much better than the new ones made now days in my opinion. If you never used a acc. torch they can also show you how to ajust it for cutting and the right pressures for the oxygen and acc. regulators. The torches that burn L.P. will require more oxygen while operating and you can;t braze very good with one.

You dont have to rent or lease tanks you can purchase,Leasing is probably in your case better,because after UMMM not sure but tanks need recertified to fill.for bout 289 bucks Menards has the small whole set ready to go after tank fills.Or if you can get the cutting done in a weekend check your local weld supply for renting the set.

Check with a local welding supply. They sell tanks. Some of them lease tanks. They sell quality name brand gas welding/cutting sets that you can get parts and service for if needed. You will need a fairly large set of tanks if you are going to do any amount of cutting. You will go through oxygen pretty fast.