• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching Leeches

PFUNK

Hey guys. Just wanted to throw a topic out about how you guys go about trapping leeches. I have been trapping minnows now for a while but have not gotten into leeches yet, and seeing as to how leeches are not cheap, I'd really like to learn how to trap them. I have heard that people use coffee cans and poke holes in them with nails. The leeches will swim in but not out because of the sharp metal inside the hole. I heard you just put some raw hamburge in it and away you go. Where is an ideal place to put the traps? Do leeches live in pretty much any lake or stream, or are they in marshes and mud lakes? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

My Dad used to catch leeches in shallow bogs. He would crimp down the mouth of a tin coffee can and then put a couple of pieces of chicken liver in there. He said the key was to get the cans before dawn, because the leeches would swim out after sunup. The old man got all sorts of leeches doing this.

I've trapped many leeches with a gallon ice cream bucket that has quarter sized holes cut in the lid and the upper part of the bucket. Put left over fish guts in it after cleaning your catch and add a few rocks for weight. Tie a rope to the handle and throw it out in a small pond and stake the other end of the rope to shore. Check it every few days. Try multiple ponds and wetlands. Some ponds are more populated with "snot" leaches that are not worth using. Others have the nice black leaches that the fish love.