• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Paint

cjac

Hi All,

I saw a post about this before, but can't find it. I'm looking for Lund paint (black) to retouch a dock rash area. Do most dealers carry it or is there an alternative that's a black color match?

Thanks!

So, would a GM or similar auto paint in a black gloss, with a clear coat be the easier option?

Not concerned about a perfect match.....close would be nice.

Thanks!

Thanks marine_man!

Taking sand paper to the hull of the beloved ride is an experience! I found a matching paint, or very close to, thru a couple calls, now it comes down to my skills, much appreciated!

I'll take a couple before/after pics in the hope it shows someone else what can be done on a few dock rashes by a novice handyman.

I'll try to upload my pics tomorrow.

I wasn't looking for perfection, as it'll just get nicked up again, so I found a close paint match. Not quite the gloss but good enough, I just wanted someone to look from 10 feet away and not "notice". Lund paint itself is not so easy to track down and isn't cheap.

All said, sandpaper, primer, tape, bondo, paint I came out close to the cost of a true matching Lund paint can.

Here's a before/after look at my paint job. It got caught on a nasty wind on opener and one of the bumpers ended up on the dock deck, not between dock and hull.

Sand, filler primer, paint, clear coat, etc. Not perfect but a lot easier to look at now than a week ago.

00000031.jpg

00000037.jpg

00000040.jpg

I stopped by a dealer today to ask about the paint and they said you can buy a spray can for around $40 and a quart for about $100. I have the forest green model, now I wish I had bought black.

I called a couple places and they actually gave me the PPG for the Lund paint, so you could try that, or take a chip off the boat and have it scanned and mixed to match.

Yeah, I hear ya though, $4 for the "really close" can was good enough for me!