• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baltamore Oriole

Actually, I spelled it right, just didn't capitalize it. Technically though, it is now called Northern Oriole. The Baltimore Oriole was recently combined with the western Bullock's Oriole, as a single species.

BTW Rick, the X in X-tackleman is supposed to be capitalized. grin

Quote:
Actually, I spelled it right, just didn't capitalize it. Technically though, it is now called Northern Oriole. The Baltimore Oriole was recently combined with the western Bullock's Oriole, as a single species.

Okay, I had to check that statement out... are you positive about that info, X?? I called a pretty well known Naturalist/book writer and asked him about this and his quote was this "I am positive that the Baltimore Oriole is still called Baltimore Oriole".

I just want to make sure were spreading the gospel brotha. grin

Here is some info I found on the subject.

"The Baltimore Oriole hybridizes extensively with the Bullock's Oriole where their ranges overlap in the Great Plains. The two species were considered the same for a while and called the Northern Oriole, but recently, they were separated again. Molecular studies of the oriole genus indicate that the two species are not very closely related."

Jeez, wish they would make up their mind. WCS, I believe you got this info from the same place I got mine. I failed to read all the way thru. My bad. Thanks for clearing it up. It was another forum where I read that they were now called Northern Orioles. Wait a year and maybe it'll revert back. wink

grinwink I got my info from Stan Tekiela as well as some reading from the American Ornithologists' Union's (AOU). It does sound as though they've tried to change the name however.

As a side note, but along the same lines. In 1983, the AOU changed the Marsh Hawk to a name evocative of a white-rumped grayish hawk hovering over grassy wetlands to the "Northern Harrier". grin