• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Xbox 360 or Plastation 3

D4 Army

I love that PS3 Fanboys are usually uber defensive over their beloved sony product. If I buy a PS3 it will only be because of the BlueRay as they haven't upped the ante for the online gaming as of now. I believe the only reason people are buying the PS# at it's current price is because you are basically buying a Blueray player and being given a game console, how will sony fair if Blueray players drop under $200?

My buddy's comment - he's a developer and big time gamer. And he's not being bias or "uber defensive" let me know what cha think?

"Online yes Xbox live has been around longer and is a more developed service, which in time could change but who knows as of now live is more superior to PSN. PSN will have in game XMB and HOME coming but I can’t comment on them until they are available. The controller is personal preference you played both and so have I and to be honest there similar.

Blu ray is more than a “nice bonus” it allows developers to play with more data in a game which means larger games, it’s that simple, MGS4 is close to 50 GB something that cannot happen on DVD which the 360 uses. It won’t be long before push a button and have HD media is a fantasy. I could go on for hours about storage space and broadband constraints and oh don’t forget the general public who is just barely breaking into the HD arena, so HD movie downloads mainstream of course it will happen, 5 to 10 years from now so until then Blu Ray is the standard for HD media for those of us who choose to enjoy 1080p movies.

Graphics are a wash because both systems will deliver great visuals although most developers say that like the PS2 the PS3 has potential that they won’t tap for another 2 years. Which brings me to my next point, like their software (I know because as you know I’m a MS developer) the Xbox 720(?) will hit shelves by 2010 so if you buy a 360 today you’ll want to upgrade in less than 2 years because I can guarantee that the DVD drive will be a thing of the past in their next console.

Then there’s the RROD issue that if like me you don’t want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that has had a reportedly 33% failure rate than it’s a non issue. Now this doesn’t include the Elite because I have yet to see failure rates on that model. If you ask any other dual console owners the 360 sounds like it’s going to explode where as the PS3 comparatively puts off minimal fan noise at best. They both act as great media extenders. PS3 out of the box is wireless and all models have hard drives.

Having dealt with both they do have there pros and cons. What matters are games, the 360 has more games for obvious reasons but I could care less about 2 year old games. I look forward, so the question is do you want to play MS first party titles like Halo and Gears or PS titles like MGS4, Final Fantasy or God of War.

I think we will look back at the numbers in the future and the 360 will be the clear winner of this latest generation. – I wouldn’t say that unless you’re referring to America only. The PS3 came out over a year later and has already caught or passed the 360 over sees, and in Japan there’s no such thing as a 360. then you have to look at the PS2 install base (I think they were at around 70 million plus) whom have yet to enter next gen, my guess is when MGS4, Final Fantasy and God of War 3 come out you’ll start seeing more PS3’s being sold in America. The winner has actually already been decided and that is the Wii, look at the numbers."

I’m not trying to prove a point that one is better than the other. Just saying that comments like “A is junk” and “B is the bomb” is naive.

Are the PS3’s still failing at an alarming rate still? I know there was a big concern about that a while back. See I could say that the PS3 is “junk” because my neighbor had a bad unit. But I know better.

I would just like anyone considering to purchase one, to think about what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend.

The argument about the 720 (or whatever the next one is) in 2010 could be turned around into a positive. Just think how advanced that will be compared to the PS3, so do you want to spend all that money on a PS3 only to wish you would’ve waited because now that technology is almost obsolete?

My point is, just don’t say one sux because you bought the other one.

Oh and BTW you can already get HD media with the push of a button, so that is not a fantasy.

The 360’s were plagued with a failure rate of 33%, fact, look it up you’ll find it, last I checked the PS3 was at roughly 3% I’m sure you’ll find that as well.

Are the PS3’s still failing at an alarming rate still? I know there was a big concern about that a while back. Find one legit article that supports this claim. One, just one legit one. I will show you a plethora that supports the 33% failure rate.

I said it boiled down to games. “What matters are games, the 360 has more games for obvious reasons but I could care less about 2 year old games. I look forward, so the question is do you want to play MS first party titles like Halo and Gears or PS titles like MGS4, Final Fantasy or God of War.“

How is spending 479 dollars on a machine and it being outdated in less than two years a positive? If you have money to burn I guess.

Yeah you can get HD media at the click of a button for a limited time (rental or streamed) and if you’re downloading them through Torrent you will need a large amount of storage if you’re a movie collector to store HD media and even then the quality (true HD) is shotty at best. So my comment about one click is a fantasy meant the here and now, again it will reach mainstream but it will take years where as with disc media you need a player and NetFlix and you’re good to go.

My point is I stated my opinion and not at any point did I state that the 360 “sux”, read it again.

EBass, my post was never directed at you, just all the comments in general. Zamboni state that the 360 "was a piece of junk".

It's really not anything to get worked up about.

I really think Marcum is better than any of them anyways.

Here's a couple of funny facts though:

The PS3 was given the number-eight spot on PC World magazine’s list of "The Top 21 Tech Screwups of 2006," where it was criticized for being "Late, Expensive, and Incompatible."[186] Also, GamesRadar ranked the PS3 as the top item in a feature about game-related PR disasters, asking how Sony managed to "take one of the most anticipated game systems of all time and — within the space of a year — turn it into a hate object reviled by the entire internet",

my buddy the dev said the funny facts are you only plucked out the negative piece. You even left off the “", but added that despite its problems the system had "untapped potential” Also this article is 2 years old.

Here’s the full piece:

The PlayStation 3 received generally unfavorable reviews soon after its launch, with many websites and reviewers criticizing its high price and lack of top-quality games.[184][185] However, after a series of price drops and the release of several quality titles, the system has begun to receive better reviews.

The PS3 was given the number-eight spot on PC World magazine’s list of "The Top 21 Tech Screwups of 2006," where it was criticized for being "Late, Expensive, and Incompatible."[186] Also, GamesRadar ranked the PS3 as the top item in a feature about game-related PR disasters, asking how Sony managed to "take one of the most anticipated game systems of all time and — within the space of a year — turn it into a hate object reviled by the entire internet", but added that despite its problems the system had "untapped potential."[187] Business Week summed up the general opinion by stating that it was "more impressed with what [the PlayStation 3] could do than with what it currently does."[188]

Some journalists judged that the relative ease with which it was possible to buy a PlayStation 3 in stores in the U.S. and Japan soon after its launch, compared with the scarcity of the Wii, was evidence of lukewarm consumer demand for the system.[189] In addition, there were reports that some Japanese retailers discounted the system as early as January 2007 to stimulate demand.[190] In an interview with Electronic Gaming Monthly, SCEA Chief of Operations Jack Tretton scoffed at the assertion that PS3s were not flying off store shelves, telling the interviewers, "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it."[191] In response, Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho demanded a reward of $13,200 after finding eleven PS3s in stores near their home town.[192]

Despite all the bad press, several websites have given the system very good reviews. CNET United Kingdom praised the PlayStation 3 saying, "the PS3 is a versatile and impressive piece of home-entertainment equipment that lives up to the hype ... the PS3 is well worth its hefty price tag."[193] CNET also awarded it a score of 8.8 out of a possible 10 and voted it as its number one "must-have" gadget,[194] praising its robust graphical capabilities and stylish exterior design while criticizing its limited selection of available games.[195]

In addition, both Home Theater Magazine and Ultimate AV have given the system's Blu-ray playback very favorable reviews, stating that the quality of playback exceeds that of many current standalone Blu-ray players.[196][197] Also, the Convergence Panel of the European Imaging and Sound Association recognized the PS3 as the best media center product in the 2007/2008 award year.[198]

Hexus Gaming reviewed the PAL version and summed the review up by saying, "...as the PlayStation 3 matures and developers start really pushing it, we’ll see the PlayStation 3 emerge as the console of choice for gaming."[199] At GDC 2007, Shiny Entertainment founder Dave Perry stated, "I think that Sony has made the best machine. It's the best piece of hardware, without question."[200]

Dude you are dealing with haters nothing more nothing less. That would be like me saying here’s a fun fact:

Main article: Xbox 360 technical problems

The Xbox 360 can be subject to a number of technical problems. Since the console's release in 2005, the product earned note in the press questioning its reliability and failure rate of the early consoles.[111][112][113]

To aid customers with defective consoles, Microsoft has extended the Xbox 360's manufacturer's warranty to three years for general failure errors. "General Hardware Failure" is recognized by three adjacent quadrants of the ring flashing red. This error is often known as the "Red Ring of Death".[114]

I’d be marked as a fanboy and ripped on. Wow, I’d say stop talking about it because you’re dealing with people that are going out of their way to make a nice “reliable” piece of hardware look bad.