• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well, I have two new rods

I successfully, not so pretty, but successfully built my first two rods. I did just basic simple wraps on the guides and around the base just above the spinning grip for the hook holder. Now that I got a feel of it, I can see how haing a comfortable place and stable environment to do this could become real fun. I will have work on it and still have an ultra light to build. I had fun, but man alive that takes more patience than my A.D.D. can about handle.

Everyone one gets a little easier as you learn what techniques work for you. If there is something that seems to give you fits, post it someone who has done a few more may have tip to make it easier.

Rodmaker made a very valid point. If you are getting tired or a bit frustrated walk away from it for a while. This is supposed to be fun. I usually spend a few days or more just on a complicated butt wrap. There is no hurry, and you will wind up with a better outcome.

I realize that and I do too, but for too long it can get to be a bit much. I have done wraps where I was wrapping thread for better than 6 hours. If nothing else the eyestrain can give you a headache.

Sometimes when I get going on a more difficult wrap, I just get wrapped up in it, and I can't wait to see the finished product! I remember my first eagle, I wrapped thread until like 4 in the morning, but I got it done, and it turned out great!

I walked away leaving another rod to do and I plan on spending quality time to do it. I am working on building a setup in my basement to work on. I will say I did not get frustrated or anything, but it was tiring. Fun, but tiring. Although a bit embarassed, I will post some photo's in a day or two of my simple rod build.

A couple of years ago , I took an entire day off and spent 6 hrs @ Thorne Bros building. I got a ton done, but it was too much. It did take some of the fun out of it.

I like to book the 2-3 hr time during the eves. during the Winter months. That time frame is still relaxing and fun for me.

I agree everyone. Build them when you enjoy it. I did it as small business in college and spent more time trying to finish orders vs. studying. Once you build one and send it off someone else see's it more and more customers are obtained. But going fishing also took its toll over studying. I have one turning at this moment which will be ready for the lake tonight