• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DeadHead????

sparcebag

I haven't been on the river this year. I drove by it the other week, and it looked ok, though the nearby shell river was high at the time. I can't say that I'll be back there this year at all, even for the Hex hatch. Got way too much going on this summer, and the roughfish have priority wink

The straight isn't really impacted by surface water, it is spring fed, so low flows may indicate a lower feed from the aquifer. There has been a drought in the region over the last couple years. April has been pretty good for ground water recharge with all the snow we got up here last month (between 30-50"). I bet the potato farmers are sucking the water pretty hard right now to get their crops established.

I haven't fished the river when it was "low". Water temps everywhere are still fairly cool, so it shouldn't affect the fish. If low flows persist through the summer, I would start looking for the fish to congregate near cold water refuges (springs) when air temps begin to rise. Otherwise look for logjams or undercut banks and fish the heck out of them. Be prepared to lose flies and untangle leaders. You'll likely be speaking like a sailor by the end of the day. Can be tough conditions, but it is well rewarded with some nice some sized browns in there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.