• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Damage then stolen

ricqik

Well it happened. Never thought it would. Just wierd.

After a day of fishing northern end of pepin, I decide to make a run down to the lower end. On the way I hit what I assume a submerged floating log, never saw it. A big thug and crackly pop and I was thrown against the steering wheel. I stopped and the motor was still running, looked back and my motor was tilted up about 45 degrees, not a log to be seen. I shut the motor off and tilt it up fully to see a small impact dent on the nose cone and a small bent on the prop tip. Hmm doesn't look bad, so I thought, I started her up, once on plane I couldn't go faster than 35mph. Come to find out my trim & tilt is messed up. Blown seal or something from the impact. Called it a day amd headed back to the launch and couldn't trim or lift the motor to put my trim bar on. Waited around for about 2hrs till another angler showed up to launch and helped me lift this heavy near 600lbs up. Big thanks to our fellow anglers. So I headed home mad and heart broken. I got home, decide to take the lower unit off for inspection. I had set it on the ground on the driveway next to the motor while I left to run an 2hr erin. Knowing my 13yr old nephew was outside mowing the lawn, I figured it'd be ok. When I got back, the lower unit and prop was gone. Ask the boy, he said he left shortly after I did and was still there when he was still there. I looked around in confusion hoping to see it lying around somewhere.

Now I have a messed up trim and a missing lower unit. I'd like people to keep a ear out if they hear of anyone trying to sell a lower unit or prop that has slight damage. I realize the chance of finding it is slim to none but it's worth a shot to mention it. A new lower unit is $3k and a prop is $600. I have reported it to the authorities. So now all I can do is wait and hope for the best.

Wow, that is unbelievable !!! I feel really sorry for you, it is horrible.

Do a search on hsolist you'll find many lower units that will fit your motor then decide which way you want to go.

In the meantime keep watching hsolist and hsolist too for yours.

I've submitted a claim to my insurance so now it's just a waiting game by the claim adjuster guy. My motor is a '04 Yamaha Vmax 300 HPDI. The prop is a Yamaha 27" pitch x 15 1/8" dia, commonly known as a 27T1 prop.

It just can't get any worse, can it? What the he11 is going on in this world.

So I get the call that my boat is ready to pick up. I get there, hook up the boat, just before I pull off, I step out to check lights abd stuff to make sure everything is working fine. I walk around the boat and glanced over at the driver seat and notice some of my things scattered on there. I immediately notice a blank spot where my sonar gps is. I walk over to the driver side and bam, where's my unit. I walk back in the shop and ask if they had taken my unit off. Nope. Came back out with a shop person. After looking at the wires, it hit me. Someone ripped it off. They literally just yanked it off bracket and all. All that's left is broken connectors. I can see the connector pins of 2 of the connectors bent side ways. I am [PoorWordUsage]. I ask the shop if they are gonna cover anything and they quickly showed me their work sheet "not liable for lost, stolen or damage". [PoorWordUsage]. I'm furoius, it's gated with 7' fence with barbed wires. I stood around stunned as people just walking about in the boat yard. I can see now why things get stolen. They let people just walk about, would be theives could be any of them just scoping out an easy picking. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant, I'm just [PoorWordUsage] off. Whoever stole it try to take the one in front too, it was cock-eyed like they were trying to pull it off. [PoorWordUsage], all my way points, now I gotta start all over.

That is sick Ric, I feel for ya bud. That's one reason I always take my units off and lock them up. My new 522c comes in the house with me after each trip. I would thing they are liable, even if their "worksheet" says they are not. It was on their property correct? Did you file a police report? I would look into the legality of that for sure and would hope they would cover it.

I had tools and an AMP stolen from a truck I had in for repairs once. They didn't want to cover it, but I put up a fuss and they covered the deductible on my insurance, so no cost to me, but my insurance covered it. I am sure the repair shop would not want that type of bad publicity, but who knows these days... Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

A lesson to the rest of us, don't leave anything in boats or cars you don't want missing. If we send boat in we even take out the seats and ropes.

That is horrible man. frown

I would try to push the issue with the shop, don't take the first "no".

Getting them to cover your deductible might be a compromise.

I guess it's another reminder to backup those waypoints.

The shop should be liable for anything stolen on their property. My electronics, rods, tackle, etc. etc. etc. all come out of the boat when at the shop or in any parking lot unless I am right there to be able to watch it.

My insurance is gonna cover it. My adjuster was nice enough to up the value to cover my deductable so I'll get a check for the full amount. Now I'm just wondering if I should add a little more out of my pocket to get a hummingbird 997 or stick with another lowarance.

Good point about backing up the waypoints. I just never thought I'd lose it.