• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guides

Can't really say "favorite" guide, as it really depends on what kind of rod you are building. Fuji SiC's are awesome, but very expensive. Batson also makes some really nice guides.

As far as where to get them, again it depends on your location. If you are in the twin cities then stop by Thorne Bros or Midwest Custom. Thorne sells Fuji, and I believe Midwest sells Batson/Rainshadow products. If visiting those two stores isn't an option, then you can order them through Jann's Netcraft or Mudhole.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he had a baitcaster he had just made with "Micro" guides?.. I want to say they were size #3?... the rod had a roberts wrap to it.. but holy cow, with those micro guides was the rod light!!! If I ever make a rod I think that is the direction I would go.

I have heard of those, not done anything with them yet. I have heard they are really light, but I also heard threading the rod is a bit more difficult. And some rods can get to light and not load up properly without some weight on the tip from the guides. Remember when they are built and rated they manufacturer is figuring guide weight into the build and rating. You have to consider that when building.

But that being said the next ultra light I build may see a few micros.