• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Redeye Shad

Shango

I heard so much about this lure and was wondering if anyone has used it with sucess? Also I want to try the Sexy Shad color and can not find it in the St. Cloud area? Thanks,

Shango

I've used these alot this spring in Iowa and have caught 70% of my fish on them so far this year. I wouldn't get too hooked on trying to find the sexy shad pattern unless you looking to fish resevoirs or river systems that have shad in them. I've been using the tennesse shad color which is green/gold/orange which emulates a sunfish or bluegill pretty well. I've been burning them on 2-5ft flats and they usually bite it when I let it drop.

I won my clubs first tournament last year throwing an orange craw pattern. Every fish I caught that day was on the red eye shad. My partner was throwing a similar colored rattlin rap and didnt catch nearly as many fish. I have also had good luck on pool 2 throwing the silver and blue and sexy shad colors.

This past weekend I fished a firetiger red eye shad and had great success. I was throwing it into about 2-5 ft of water and ripping it through the vegetation, letting it fall, then reeling and ripping and letting it fall some more. All of my bites came after I ripped it and it was falling. Great lure and the hooks are really sharp. I think I missed a few fish by ripping it out of their mouths. Performs best if worked the way it was designed, the wobbling as it falls is killer. Thanks KVD

I like to use them once the fish have moved out on the flats after spawning through fall. They could be good on opener this year if some of the fish haven't moved up yet, but we will have to wait and see on that. Anyway I mostly fish them on flats around weedsor right on the edge of weedlines. I fish them with a fast, straight retrieve. That is what I have had my best luck with.

Lipless crankbaits are one of the best baits in early season because so many fish are moving from spot to spot. I agree that flats are one of the best areas to fish these. It is a lure that you can cast a long distance and crank with a good paced retrieve, enabling you to cover a lot of water. I however do like it as a search baits this time of year, and often prefer to slow down and fish something I can probe an area better with once I locate a group of fish.