• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude Big Twin Motor Techincal Difficulties PLEASE HELP

So today I go to take off across the lake and motor says NOPE not happening today here's what it is doing I can troll backwards or forwards all day long and everything works just fine, but when I get on it just revs and doesnt go anywhere. I tried slowly to gain speed and after a certain speed it just gives out and won't continue to push the boat anymore does anyone have a clue as to whats going on with the thing and just so you know it is a 1965 40HP tiller any help with this wierd problem would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a spun hub on the prop... take a paint marker, or white out, and draw a line across the hub of the prop - basically, from the outside of the prop hub to the inside, and then run it again. If the lines don't match up afterwards, that's the problem.

If that's not the case, it might be a lower unit problem...

marine_man

It sounds like a spun hub on the prop... take a paint marker, or white out, and draw a line across the hub of the prop - basically, from the outside of the prop hub to the inside, and then run it again. If the lines don't match up afterwards, that's the problem.

If that's not the case, it might be a lower unit problem...

marine_man

Marine man this is really embarrasing I'm sorry I forgot to include the fact that I checked the lower unit over today and didnt see anything obvious and this is the reason I checked it I went to drain the oil the other night and the only thing that looked like the drain plug to me also just so happened to be the shift linkage screw, but didn,t know it at the time so after this happened made me start thinking about that night when the screw wouldn't go back in like it came out until I wiggled the shift linkage a little will all of this make a difference to your origanal answer?

If you have forward neutral and reverse at idle, it sounds like you reinstalled the cradle pin correctly.

No, this does not have a splined hub. It is a rubber mounted hub with a insert that is fixed to the propeller shaft with a drive pin.

I too would check the hub to see if it is spun.

When reinstalling the prop and hardware it goes in this order:

1. propeller

2. washer - This must be installed between prop and pin

3. drive pin - through insert and prop shaft

4. prop nut secured with cotter pin.