• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Channel Spots Near The 494 Access?

TMF89

Hey guys, as it's pretty much obvious by now, I'm trying to start to really get into river fishing this year, and me and my dad and his friends are going to try to make it out next weekend for some catfishing. My immediate idea was just to go to the Ford Dam, how far away is it from the access under the 494 bridge? Is there a good bite going on right now? I figured we'd just use cut bait and some chicken livers wrapped in mesh. Are there any other spots that I could try? I'm not asking for GPS coordinates, but some real specific depths/locations would help, thanks guys!

I don't know the area specifically, but you should probably scope it out ahead of time, and see if you can identify any current seams, eddies, that sort of thing... channels like places where food can collect.

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

If you are looking to go to the Ford Dam you should use the Lilydale or Hidden Falls ramp. The Hidden Falls ramp is a half mile to the dam.

The bite has been a little slower lately due to the high water level. It should turn around in the next week or two as levels drop.

How far from the 494 access is the dam? Is it just straight up the river? What access would you guys reccomend? Will the fishing under the dam be pretty good? Are there other spots that would be better? And what weight sinkers am I looking at? 1 oz? 1 3/4? 2 1/4? Thanks guys! Oh, and for your snells, do you use the same high-vis line you use for your main, or do you get something else? Thanks again!

I fished from shore last weekend and there were no boats at the dam. I suggest you carry good insurance and a life preserver if you plan on hitting the dam. It's pretty dangerous right now. But you could fish the Minnehaha mouth if you can anchor. In the future, if you want to hit the dam, just launch at Hidden Falls or even Cedar/77 (Park Permit required). Another option would be Lilydale where you'd be bypassing South Saint Paul and downtown Saint Paul.

I fished from shore last weekend and there were no boats at the dam. I suggest you carry good insurance and a life preserver if you plan on hitting the dam. It's pretty dangerous right now. But you could fish the Minnehaha mouth if you can anchor. In the future, if you want to hit the dam, just launch at Hidden Falls or even Cedar/77 (Park Permit required). Another option would be Lilydale where you'd be bypassing South Saint Paul and downtown Saint Paul.

If you have a park sticker, you can launch out of FT. Snelling Instead of 77 if your not going to be staying out late. You cut off a couple miles by boat. You just need to be out of there by 10:00pm

If you are fishing around the dam you will want at least a 2 oz. no roll sinker. I would probably be using a 4oz with the current as swift as it is.

Most people who fish up at the dam are fishing on the locke side.

I launched at the Lilydale ramp last Thursday. The water was high but there wasn't any debris blocking the ramp and the current didn't give me any problems trailering the boat. It is open until midnight.

If you run late getting off the water at Lilydale or Fort Snelling you may get gated into lot.

I have been catfishing all night long at Lillydale for over 10 years and never been locked in. I have even talked with the Park Rangers(at 3 or 4 in the am) and they have been cool with it.

I always figured if I got locked in, I would just head back out grin

If they see trucks with trailers on them, they have been letting the rules slide in years past. It could change any time though. They are mainly looking for kids hanging out and other no good doer's.

I think it makes it tougher, but the water level are coming down fast and the water temps are going up. We will see what happens this weekend, I think it's going to be a good one and only get better.

Well,

Fished pool 2 launching from the Lilydale last night. My truck and both of my friends cars got ticketed for parking after hours. I'm not sure how much it will cost me but I thought I'd let everyone know that they are issuing citations.

Guess I got what I deserved. I've parked there probably 15 times and stayed out well after the park hours. I thought that they didn't care if you were parked there as long as it was obvious you were on the water.

Did you have a trailer behind your truck/car?

I have parked at this launch for the last 11-12 years all night and never got a ticket. I know if you have a trailer behind, they know you are out on the river and have left us alone in years past.

Now, on the other hand, last weekend due to the wind, we came in early and we fished right on the launch at about 3:00am. There was no other trailers in the parking lot and we had mine loaded up. We had it parked in the turn around. Sure enough, a park ranger came down. Most times I B.S. with them and we talk about the catfish. Last weekend, I was told the park closes at 11:00. All we could get in was "we are leaving".

I might try to make some calls about this and see what can be done.

The easiest way to try to get out of this ticket is to say I was not in the park, just my vehicle. Getting a ticket for being in the park after it closes, you should have to be in the park when you get the ticket. I have heard of others years ago getting out of a ticket by doing this.

Good luck!

I had my truck with trailer in the lot. My two friend each had their cars parked next to mine. I think I'll try to tell them I was not in the park I was on the river. We'll see. I guess I'll have to do a longer run up or down the river from a 24 hour launch. Bummer.

I had no idea black dog isn't 24 hour? Is there other launches around there that are 24 hours (169 or Cedar?). I'm trying to get out for my first night of catfishing but I don't need a ticket.....or a robbery from what I've heard.

I had no idea black dog isn't 24 hour? Is there other launches around there that are 24 hours (169 or Cedar?). I'm trying to get out for my first night of catfishing but I don't need a ticket.....or a robbery from what I've heard.

Jimbuck,

for clarification, there is no 169 launch.... its a running joke with the cat guys...... Kinda like the pool on the roof the the high school.. grin

Shakopee and 35w are good launches open 24hours

Cedar good launch even a dock, you need a state park sticker and can park all night.

Ft. Snelling another good launch with dock, need a park sticker and park closes at 10:00pm

Watergate Marina on the Mississippi, open 24hours, secure cost is around $10.00 I think might be 20.

As far as worring about getting robbed. It can happen anywhere on the river. Just be smart and look sharp, IF you see unusual activity at the launch, call the cops, or stay home.

You could try the skinnier water on the outreaches of the cities. Carver, chaska, Jordan, belle Plain, Mankato. Those pose there own set of challenges.

Good luck