• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Spinning Reel

TMF89

For low end, check out the Shimano Sedona. Pretty good little reel for $40 (maybe $50 now?). Mine is on it's 6th year now with no problems. The Symetre looks and feels nice, but I will probably upgrade next to the Stradic for my Med power Walleye/Pike Avid rod.

I like the Sedonas for the $50 range. Great reel, good drag. I have two of them and love em. The 2000 needs a new handle after 7 years of heavy use, but that isn't bad for all the time it has spent on the water with me. I am getting ready to make a shimano parts order to convert a Curado and get some new gears for a Citica as well, so I will just include the new handle in the order.

I think Shimano spinning reels are the only way to go. Like what has already been mentioned, the Symetre is a good mid-price reel ($80). For a higher-end model, you might want to look at the Stradic FI with the Paladin gear system ($150). Better yet, the Sustain seems almost like the ultimate in smoothness, but at $200 or more, I think the Stradic offers the best bang for the buck.

-Gregg B.

I agree with the Sedona's I have four of them and two specifically set up for Pike and Musies on heavy action spinning rods and I acctually caught my second biggest muskie a 47 incher with the Sedona and it worked and still works like a dream. Also, for the price you can't beat'em.

While I'd like to have those reels, I'm looking to try and spend less than $150 on the whole combo. There's a Guide Series Extreme pike rod at Gander, and I'm thinking of pairing it up with a Guide Series Tournement reel, either a 35 or a 40, but I've never really used one for that kind of fishing before. Does anyone have experience with the Tourny's drag system? That's the main thing I'm thinking about for pike. Any comments?

I just bought a quantum incyte and I think its pretty darn awesome. It was about 50 bucks but I liked it better than the shimanos that they had. Its got a smoother barrel flip.

Shimano Sedona's are tough reels. Quantums do have solid bail flipped open lock position.

The GM guide series reels are knockoffs of the Pfleuger/Shakespeare reels. Look at the metal construction President reel or the graphite construction Dimension reel. Definitely look at a 35 or 40 size reel.